Irritation and dryness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone else has irritation, dryness, discomfort in private area? If so, what do you for it? I've had this sympton 8 months ago and it went away until now its been back for 2 weeks now. It is so uncomfortable. 🤐How can i prevent it from coming back? I also notice a change in the appearance down there, such as thinning. Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes me Mary goes and comes..you are very brave to have a look at the lady parts because I ain't looking let it get on with it as long as meno left me with one Lol..I was thinking we must not scratch because makes it worst, I'm not sure now I'm in Post wether gets worst or stick around and give trouble. No idea putting cold cream fridge might help.

• Posted

Lol..yes Maria I have checked down there, i was trying to figure out where the irritation is coming from. Sometimes it feels like its coming from the urethra also. I have been feeling really good lately until this irritation started and today i have other symptons again, burning skin, bloated, achiness, tiredness. I am 21 days late of a period and the time it should come is near and now these symptons again.

How long does it usually last with you?

• Posted

Mary I'm not sure when it goes did not had it for a while now I guess it will come back again it will stop with time.

• Posted

They say that vaginal atrophy & dryness happens for 50%  of women. Personally I think they’re lying. I think it goes unreported in  most cases. 

Yes there are plenty of options. Some women use coconut oil, vitamin E, lubricants, and other  herbal remedies.  Certainly estrogen reverses this decline, restores the tissue cells, moisture & comfort. It can be used systemically or topically.  There are RX products in cream or pull form that can be inserted.   And many suggest a compounded Estriol cream. 

There’s also a newer product called Intrarosa, which is a vaginal DHEA product. Studies show very good results. DHEA is a precursor for estrogen and testosterone.  So your body uses this to convert to estrogen. 

Generally you insert it every night for two weeks. Then as needed. 

If you are this uncomfortable, I’m sure your doctor would be happy to prescribe something.  It’s better than letting it go. This isn’t a problem that will self correct the further you get into the menopausal state. 

• Posted

Thank you Gailannie. I was prescribed a biodentical estradiol vagina cream back in August. Though then I only had the dryness but no irritation. Since I had stopped taking the progesterone that was prescribed and my dr. said it was not good to use estrogen along so i stopped it. I am using progesterone cream and i started back on the estrogen a few weeks ago but I still have the irritation. It is better then when it first started, but its still there. My Gyn only pushes HRT everytime I go. But i am so scared to take it. I will continue the cream. My cream was made in a compounding pharmacy but it says estradiol on it not estriol, but pharmacy says its biodentical. Which is best?
    • Posted

Well Mary if you’re seeing improvement stick with it. Generally experts say two weeks to notice a difference, but two months for full effect. 

Most experts say bio identical are better for you than different molecules your body has never seen and doesn’t know how to break down.  As far as estradiol vs estriol for vaginal atrophy?  As I understand it both work. Estradiol is a stronger estrogen molecule. And some women love estriol. I didn’t. 

There’s nothing wrong with trying both to see if there is a difference for you. 

• Posted

I'm 10 years post meno and still get this but find if I use organic coconut oil twice daily I don't have any problems with dryness or irritation when I stop using it then the dryness comes back

• Posted

Thank you for the coconut oil tip, I tried it as soon as I read your post and instant relief from the burning irritation!  Hope it lasts . . . Thank you again
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, my Dr. rx me premarin, but I prefer something natural, fortunately, around the time that I was having the discomfort I read somewhere here another lady say that they too were having dryness discomfort, that they tried an otc natural progesterone and that it was working for them. So I bought it at my health food store and sure enough the irritation and dryness is gone.
    • Posted

I have the bio dentical estrogen vaginal cream (estrodoil) but i just don't like the idea of doing any estrogen. Though, I am using it and seems to be working, not totally gone, but better. How are you applying the progesterone cream, internal or external)? How long did it take before it was totally gone?

• Posted

Hi Sochima how are you making with using the progesterone cream for dryness?
  • Posted

It sounds like you might have vaginal atrophy, which is very common during the menopause. I find that Replens is very good. It is a vaginal moisturiser and you can get it from pharmacists. I also use a topical oestrogen suppository, in addition, and I get that on prescription from my doctor. The combination of the two seems to do the trick. Your GP will most likely want you to try vaginal moisturisers first, before prescribing the oestrogen cream. 
  • Posted

Hi mary27278,

I use both estrodial and estriol creams. Both bio identical from a compounding pharmacy. Both applied vaginally. One on the outside daily and one on the inside as a maintenance cream. I have had no problem using these bio identical creams. I am also on testosterone and progesterone creams daily. With the help of a doctor that will moniter you well through blood work and your symptoms you should be okay. Problem is some doctors hand out prescriptions without following up on labs if they run labs at all then hand you a one size fits all tube of cream or tablet. Hormone replacement is not a one size fits all. This is why getting the right doctor that knows their stuff can be the difference between success or failure of HRT. There is some very good books and videos out there too. If you read up on this stuff you will find many benefits to being on it at this time in your life. Your noticing the depletion of hormones with your thinning, irritation and dryness you describe. Keep in mind if you have good results and find relief you should maintain to keep things "right" down there. If you stop using it your symptoms are very likely to come back because again, it is the depletion of hormones that is causing your issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.