Is 135/85 good enough or still too high?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had 180/120 blood pressure so was put on Losartan. I measure when I wake up and it's usually 135/85. Is this good enough or do I need to change or take stronger medication to lower it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Depends which medical team you talk to. I'm recently back from Chicago where the new BP guidelines were discussed in detail. I attach a screen grab from the conference. Your BP is Stage 1 Hypertension yet UK GP's etc. would probably accept but want no higher than that. I choose to go down the new 2017 guidelines. Have you a BP monitor? If not, perhaps get one that transfers data to Smartphone so you can keep your GP informed.

Paulimage

• Posted

How is it at other times of day?

That's right around borderline, a little lower would be better, if 120/80 is still any kind of benchmark I figure 10% over, about 132/88, is good enough, and maybe better than too many meds.

And these days, if you're much over 50yo they tend to give you a few points for free, and if you're under 140/92 or so a lot of doctors will just let it go.

• Posted

If a person is type 2 diabetic they will want it lower. Practice nurses take a dimmer view of my BP than the doctor does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.