Is 24 hour stomach acid test worth doing??

Posted , 3 users are following.

doctor who did my endoscopy said he would NOT have it done himself!

also not sure I can handle it - endo felt really sore for me sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The test is used to determine your levels of acidity. It is usually combined with manometry to measure the efficiency of your lower oesophageal sphincter.

When I had my 24hr pH manometry I wrote a blog at the time. Part of that was reproduced in the last issue of Barrett's Wessex newsletter (which is downloadable from the www BarrettsWessex org uk website) .

I have attached a photo of the relevant article (though the picture used is not of me) .

It was far easier than endoscopy.

If you are considering a fundplication, the procedure is a necessary.precursor.

• Posted

Thanks Barretts! I thought fundplication is the last resort, would test be useful for anything else? 
    • Posted

Unfortunately, many think of LNF as last resort when for many it would be th ebest option. NHS produce an optins grid comparing LNF vs PPIs available on this site here: https://patient.info/decision-aids/heartburn-treatment-options but also attached as an image.

24 hr pH manometry is useful to see your levels of acd, how effective your lower oesophageal shincter is and can be used whilst on medication to see how effective the drugs are.

• Posted

Hi Babs,

?I had this done last week and I didn't find it too bad, infact I had the best night sleep in months.

?Still waiting the results.

• Posted

Thanks Ruby!

what exactly did they do? One Dr told me th ere is a metal hook holding the catheter in place?? That sounded very off Putting! And they want to do manometry as well...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.