Is 3 months too soon for another colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi others may have seen previous posts, i have barretts and it was diagnosed due to swollen stomach and constipation for coming on 12 months. 

I had a colonoscopy 3 months ago and everything was fine except the barretts. My stool once i take a laxitive jumps from being very thin to Diaria (noth very little). I really feel like i need a good clean out and for some reason my bowels wont work. 

Still getting a lot of abdomen pain and swollen stomach but i am putting that down to the constipation but due to the signs should i ask for another colonoscopy or would it have been found 3 months ago if it was something serious?. 

I have improved my diet, now eating fruit and going to the gym.

thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Tambdy,

i had a colonoscopy in May and then another in June, if you aren't convinced by something then ask. However, having said that, I do feel that the second one wasn't necessary even though I was still having blood in my stool and my body agreed as they couldn't complete the second one as I was in too much pain. Instead they are opting for a barium swallow ( either that or I has general anaesthetic). 

The more times you have a procedure, the more chance of it being unpleasant or complicated in my view. Things are missed very rarely and if it was serious enough to produce pronounced symptoms they would have found it. 

I would have a think and maybe a talk with your doc to express your concerns and see if they can offer you any reassurance. If you still feel strongly then maybe push for another. In the mean time, you could always concentrate on stopping the constipation - drink plenty of fluids etc etc. 

good luck with whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Tambdy, diarrhea may be due to laxative and changed diet. I think your abdominal pain is due to Barrett's oesophagus. You can go for oesophagogastroduodenoscopy to check the progression of disease and also consult your physician to confirm IBS if there was nothing abnormal in your previous colonoscopy.
    • Posted

Hi Doc, 

Thanks for your advise, i was just worried as my bowels wont seem to work correctly and the different changes in stool.

My stomach is starting to sort its self out, it was swollen but the laxtose seems to have made all the gas come out my body which must have been causing the swollen stomach.

Maybe i am just paranoid, the barretts i have to be tested for again in 3 years so it must not be that bad as they have not told me how bad it is. 

Do you think it is IBS i havt then

thanks again

• Posted

Hi Tambdy, if there is nothing abnormal in colonoscopy, IBS or intestinal motility may be the reason. If you are taking antacid treatment like proton pump inhibitor, it may result in indigestion and loose motion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.