Is 5 wks 2 days too soon to be in my usual shoes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my Scarf Akin Bunion operation 5 weeks ago. The boot they gave me before I left hospital was a little too small and my big toe overhung at the end by about 5cms. They didn't have a bigger one to offer at the time however I have worn it for the last 5 weeks but occasionally I would knock my big toe because it stuck out - Ouch! For the last few days I have been starting to walk around a little more and so far everything is feeling great with very little swelling.  This morning I even tried on my normal walking shoes and amazingly I could walk in them better than in the support boot/shoe given by the hospital. The shoes I have are lace up leather ones with a built in orthotic sole and are made by Ecco. I have worn this type for years as I also have flat feet and are great for arch support. I have been wearing them for an hour this morning whilst I do little jobs around the house and all feels good. I have now decided to sit and elevate it though as it is beginning to feel a little swollen. I just hope I am not doing things too soon? The surgery seems to have gone really well so far and I have had very little pain and discomfort during these last 5 weeks so I hope I won't get told off by the consultant for jumping the gun. I have another 2 weeks before I go back to see him. Talking of comfortable shoes and if anyone has a lot of swelling, I have also bought a pair of crocs shoes which are amazingly roomy and comfortable because they too have a shaped footbed. I think they might help those of you who are having difficulty finding something to wear other than a surgical boot/shoe. Any comments on walking around early, comfortable shoes etc would be of interest to many of us I am sure. LadyPink

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi LadyPink, I have been rebelling for 55 years and Im not about to stop but in the case of my bunion op I decided to do as I was told, I managed 6weeks and 1 day (that was last fri)  and then I burnt the surgical shoe and had a go at driving, I saw surgeon yesterday for the last time and he said wear flat shoes only and no heavy lifting for another 6 weeks, rest when possible and it can take up to 12m for swelling to completely go. I just think when we have all come so far and done so well it would be silly to end up undoing things,  stick it out with the shoe until you go back,,it is worth it, good luck
    • Posted

Thanks grannygrandma, I'm a little older than you at 70 and usually I do do as I'm told but sometimes I have been called 'naughty Nanny' although, I have been taking it easy honestly I have! I've I been ironing for twenty minutes so two more shirts and I'm done. Trouble is, I cant get any 'lift' from my surgical shoes as there's no support for my flat feet fallen - the surgical things are dead flat and so not really suitable. I have been given a specially made surgical support shoe with an arch support and small heel but through an error - maybe the consultant's fault - the Appliances Dept were not ordered for when I was discharged home. Still, I mustn't grumble as the surgery itself was excellent and my foot really looks lovely. So I will do as you say and be patient a little longer. Thanks again - two more shirts to go and the iron can be put away! LadyPink
    • Posted

Hi Granny grandma, Sorry should have said "I should have been given a specially made surgical shoe before leaving hospital .... " LadyPink
  • Posted

You had just the opposite. For me they had only a shoe, 2 sizes bigger than mine. In my case, I could not hurt my toe but the shoe was rediculous.

I am like you little swelling, no problems. My first op was sept 17. After 6 weeks in walkingshoes, without problems, after 8 weeks already a little heel. Best is that you have your x-rays before you start walking on your forefoot.

• Posted

Hi Tiany, Many thanks for your reply but I'm already back into my support bandage and boot already. Had second thoughts and decided to stop being so impatient. Realised too it would be stupid to maybe ruin all the good work that's been done by my brilliant surgeon and his team. Oh my gosh I don't know what's worse, a surgical shoe that's too big or one that's too small like I had. Ha Ha. Interesting to hear how well you did too. Best wishes to you and thank you for your comments. LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi,  I had the opposite thing with the shoe.  The one was too small and the next one too big, but I persevered wearing it until I was told I could wear my trainers.  I also got a pair of crocs to wear in the house which wear more comfy then slippers which my hospital said they did not recommend anyway.  My op was in Sept 14 I have had good and bad days, but like you I was told 12 months was the normal recovery time.  Good luck and rest as much as you can. 
  • Posted

Hi Lady Pink, I' ve posted in a new thread re my Xrays and telling off, by my surgeon today so I won't repeat it all now. I'm 5 weeks down the line and TBH I wish I had got tough with all my Fam and rested it up more in the first 2 weeks. The shoe I was given when I came out of hospital was an open toe one. It did fit but I felt that the toes were quite exposed to furniture etc. So I bought myself a closed toe boot off a Meds supplier on ebay for £18.50 and it's been much better. I have tried my shoes on ( I too have some comfort type ones) but as my foot is still swollen I'm not going to wear them yet. One other thing he suggested was just try and wear them while your foot is raised for and hour maybe! I've become attached to this closed toe boot so I might have to get another one lol and wear them as a pair ha ha.....
    • Posted

Hi bohemia, Thanks for all your advice. Saw those toe boots on eBay but won't rush into getting a pair just yet. I have to go to the hospital next Tues 27th Jan 2015 to see someone in the Appliances Department about maybe a new shoe/boot or to give me an insert for my existing surgical shoe. This is because I have flat feet you see and need arch support more than anything. I have always had to have supports like this. I was born with flat feet as were most of my family. Normally I would wear shoes or sandals with an anatomical footbed for support and comfort. (Used to love Scholl exercise sandals back in the 70's and 80's but they're not made the same now.  I love Ecco shoes for day to day wear. Flyflots from Italy used to be a dream to wear, but their factory changed hands and the styles now appear less anatomical so no good for me. Every summer it's a problem getting comfortable feminine shoes with a supporting sole. I have inserts but these tend to push my foot up and out of a shoe at the heel). Anyway, I am digressing; I think I'll wait and see what I end up with from the hospital next week? But I'll bear your advice in mind and it was interesting to read your comments. (Not very sexy those toe boots are they. Suppose you could add a bit of sparkle or something?? HaHa). Best wishes, LadyPink
  • Posted

Oh I forgot to say, my surgeon said today that no driving for at least another 4 to 6 weekscry I've lost my independance and I'm so frustrated, but I do understand the reasons why! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.