Is 50% weight baring ok with 1 crutch?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys. New here! Been reading heaps of threads though. 9 weeks ago I fractured my navicular and had hardware put in. 1 week ago I was put in a moon boot and told 4 weeks of 50% weight baring. This was difficult at first but now I'm getting around with 1 crutch. I have no pain and the swelling is coming down. Is this OK? The surgeon just demonstrated walking with 2 crutches. I feel like I did walk without any support just fine but won't push it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know how you feel.  Although I had a different break I was put into a low boot at the ER.  I thought I could walk without pain just fine with the boot and after a week even without it.  Then I had my Orthopedic visit and ended up in a toe to knee non weight bearing cast for 4 weeks.  Anyway when that come off it was on to the knee high boot with gradual weight bearing for 4 more weeks.  I was afraid of using crutches believing I would fall and break the other foot.  It was easier for me to shift weight onto the injured foot using a walker. It sounds like you are doing very well with the 1 crutch.  In my opinion it is okay to use the 1 crutch and great that you have no pain and that your swelling is improving.  You are right about not pushing it because you want a great recovery without any backsliding.  After those final 4 weeks I was at 100% weight bearing and was released to PT.  My son broke his leg and is in his 3rd week in a non weight bearing cast and he is using crutches (2) like a pro.  All of us want the healing process to be over ASAP but we need to be patience and as you have done and follow medical advice. The 25th of this month will be 2 years since my fracture and as I look back it's like it never happened.  Good friends and family helped me specially through not driving for 2 months.  grrr.  Best of luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.