is 94 normal reading after fasting?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took a blood glucose reading after fasting for 12 hours and it was 94... is that normal after fasting?

Are you also supposed to test after eating ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

94 is in a normal range, perhaps a tad high if you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Fasting for 12 hours will generally let your body recover from a big meal but not reduce your BG below normal levels, in fact as the fasting starts to be felt it can cause your liver to feel stress and release more glycogen that raises the level a bit.

My high for the day is usually my morning reading, before breakfast.

If you test after eating you will see your BG go high for a while (assuming you're not on a strict keto diet, and maybe even then), it should be falling towards normal after an hour and should get there after about two hours. Depends on your meal, of course.

It's great to watch these all happen, that's why continuous glucose monitors (CGM) are terrific, you don't have to keep stabbing yourself and using up test strips.

But depending on your A1C and all, it's not strictly necessary.

• Posted

It is absolutely normal. Try to see normal limits on google etc. After food, normal limits are higher. As I feel Fasting results are the basic assessment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.