Is a morning cough a sign of Asthma?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My toddler is 2 years old and has had a thick wet cough every morning for the last month. I've been to the GP's and all he said was her lungs sounded clear and the cough will pass. I've been doing a little bit of googling and it seems the cough could be a sign of asthma or allergies. Not sure what to though. We have a cat but he has been around for awhile. So, I don't believe the cat is the trigger.

I am not convinced by my GP's 'it will pass'. Was hoping if anyone has a similar experience and any advice would be grateful. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have had asthma all my life and never ever had this cough you describe. Very strange this has been happening for a month - so why hasnt it "passed" ?  Please go back  and insist on tests. Good Luck . . . . . 
  • Posted

Thanks Jay! It is strange isn't. We have an appointment on Friday. Poor thing coughed so hard this morning all his breakfast came up! This time I'm going to be more insistent. This can't be normal! As cough syrup is no longer recommended for under 2's not sure if I will be given anything for the moment. Let see what happens ....
  • Posted

Hi Monica,

Wet coughs are productive. They remove congestion by expelling secretions that collect in your throat or chest. When the body lays down there is nowhere for the mucus to travel so it collects in the throat at night, then when you are up and about, it starts to loosen, hence the cough.

Little ones don’t blow their nose when they get boogers in there, so when they go to sleep it drips down their throat and in the morning they cough to try and clear it out.

There can also be a possibility of allergy to dust mites where often allergy symptoms are observed in the morning after spending the night resting their heads on pillows coated with dust mite debris. The allergens fill your child’s airways, activating histamine chemicals that trigger increased mucus production.

Give him a healthy food and avoid sugar or sugary foods for up to 5 hours after being eaten, which suppress the immune system. Maintain hydration and keep his mucus membranes moist with frequent drinks of water or juice.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but just keep a watch on him.

Vincent.

• Posted

Really appreciate your reply Vincent! I had suspected that he had been 'clogged up' after lying down for 8 hours. I also had washed all the bedding and pillows to see if it was an allergy to mite debris.

At the time, the cough seemed insistent and he never seemed to get better or worse.

He has gotten better over the weekend. Hopefully, this cough has passed and it was not the symptom of something more serious. Now, I just have to wait for the next bout of illnesses. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have the same situation with my 3 years old daughter right now. Can you please share what else happened. What did you discover? Is the cought gone? Is asthma?

Thanks,

Geta

• Posted

Hi would like to know about your child's diagnosis?! How was your baby after the check up? What's the findings?! I have a 4-year old daughter who coughs every morning with phlegm but after coughing the phlegm out she becomes better the whole day,,,... went to the doctor but told me she was fine,,, i am just so worried about her cough...it happens every morning only... will appreciate for your answer... thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.