Is a multifocal IOL not truly multifocal?

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is part of an email I received from my cataract surgeon's office pre-surgery. I am trying to decide between monovision and Symfony (actually an extended depth of focus lens I think).-

"No matter what target or lens we choose, there's no perfect solution and glasses are the solution for further fine tuning of vision afterwards. With either monovision or multifocal, there will be some compromise between very near vision and intermediate vision because we realistically have 2 focal points to work with and roughly 3 major zones of vision."

So is he saying it's actually bifocal, not trifocal or multifocal?

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My sister was told to take a supplement- ARED 2?- to slow progression. My optometrist takes MacuHealth as a preventive but I'm not positive it's been shown to help. It has lutein and others.

• Posted

On the issue of Macular Degeneration

"It is true that multifocal lenses have an extended depth of field which is achieved by spreading out the light, whereas monofocal lenses focus all of the light at a single point.  Dr. XXX does not typically recommend multifocal or Symfony lenses for people with AMD.  

The complex optics of a multifocal lens do not work well in patients with vision limitations from other eye conditions (like AMD, glaucoma, etc).  "

• Posted

From my surgeon’s office-

With mini-monovision (not true monovision) you will still need reading glasses for close work and reading.  

I think I’d prefer true monovision then, which is what my contacts are now, even though it means less  good depth perception. 

• Posted

Yes. The statement that "With mini-monovision (not true monovision) you will still need reading glasses for close work and reading" is correct.

The fact that you have had monovision with contacts gives you a good idea of the vision you will have 2 monofocal lenses. However, please remember that while you may have some focus adjustment left in you natural eyes, you won't have any adjustment in the monofocal lenses.  Thus, assuming that you get one eye set for -0.25D and the other one at -2.25 D, your vision may be less clear between about 26 inches to 53 inches range. One can live with that (I lived with that for many years with my contact lenses set for monovision), but just be aware of that.

Just as a side note, In my case, the only practical situation where I really wished that I had better vision in that range was trying to read captions next to displays in a museum setting where one can't stand 18-20 inches from the wall. However, depending on your life style, you may have other situations, where having good vision in that range is important.

• Posted

And is that not a limitation with the Symfony- that some vision at some distance will be compromised?

It isn’t for my husband but reading on these forums,  not everybody has as good a result is he did.

As much as I would like a Symfony,  I’m  going with monovision since it’s a known entity for me , my doctor recommended it, there’s two now in my family with macular degeneration and it’ll save $5000

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.