Is a Myomectomy the only way? I'm also neutropenic!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Fibroids have been a huge problem to me for the past 18 months if not longer. I have one on the outside of my uterus on a stalk bigger than a grapefruit and a 2cm one inside my uterus. My surgeon says he is going to perform a myomectomy and remove the other one vaginally. I am concerned because I have a blood disorder called neutropenia and am at higher risk of infection. I think there are other treatments I'd like to try before being opened up. For example shrinking the big one and removing it by a laparoscopy or having ultrasound therapy. I am also at higher risk of blood clots so think a myomectomy should be a last resort. I was wondering if anyone had theirs removed as large as mine a different way other than a myomectomy? Maybe I'm worrying too much but I've had the operation postponed twice and it's having a big impact on my personal life and want them sorted! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi That's a big fibroid , there are options to shrink them through embolisation where the put you under and cut off blood supply to shrink them,if you have money by meds that can also do that. Usually antibiotics are given pre any procedure and if clotting a factor they can treat that post operatively with blood thinning injections. I've just had Myomectomy open incision 3 weeks ago.

It's been a journey but it was worth it they took a kilo of Fibroids. the largest 7cm by 7cm sitting on my bladder. weighing 800 grams. I don't need to pee every 5 minutes so already a success. The other option is to do nothing ,try diet changes. if it's not overly symptomatic speak time researching your options. I hope this helped 😊🤗

• Posted

Sorry just saw it's having a huge impact. have you tried the pill as well to reduce bleeding or other meds. If the fibroids in the lining no matter how big it is causing it to bleed constantly and in greater volume so it definately needs removal. I will be praying for u . it must be extremely stressful. sending a hug🤗

• Posted

Hi there

An option could be to take medication to shrink the fibroids. there are several types available they are called GNRH analogues, it's a hormonal injection that stops periods which then enables the fibroids to shrink then perhaps they might then be removed via keyhole surgery or other non evasive means.

A drug called Esmya also shrinks fibroids prior to surgical intervention but I'm not sure if it's still being prescribed.

Hope all goes well xx

• Posted

you can go for the uterine fibriod embolyzation. it shrinks the monsters and reduces the bleeding coneiderably . it reduced my period from 10_12 days to 3 days. esmya is no longer being prescribed because it was researched to be causing liver and kidney issues for women.

God is with you

• Posted

Hi

all these replies are true and solid - my 25 fibriods caused me pain, discomfort, peeing too much, sex which i adore was painful at times, periods no existent some months. I feel and understand your discomfort, your health is so important. Explore these options, remember you have options!! You are not alone!! i had an open myomectomy to remove all mine, they discussed the option of hysterectomy, but i said no, i want my uterus, tubes to be saved and to heal. 4 months in i no longer have these problems. My periods are different as i had so much to clear. explore these options ❤

• Posted

Thank you everyone for you advice and help. I think I might get a second opinion!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.