Is a sudden and brief pain similar to a cramp occurring in the abdomen diverticulitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. What I want to know does anyone else experience this? Also, what diet should I be following?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mayo Clinic Diet - it is on their web site.  Cramping is part of the disease.  I have it most days off and on. When I have a flare there is pain under your rib cage on the left side and left side back pain. Bouts of the trots or consitipation. 
    • Posted

Mine is over in seconds. It happens when I reach or bend etc. there are no other symptoms. 

It can be anywhere on the abdomen. I can see and feel it. It goes hard in one spot then subsides.

It does not fit in with any of the research I have done.

• Posted

I can't say that I have experienced this in relation to diverticular disease.
  • Posted

My sharp pain is in lower left abdomen; and that is the place where many sufferers get the sharp pain. During a bout of infection it can be enough to literally make you double up.  When things settle; after antibiotics and bedrest; you may still get the odd twinge or three; but they are (for me) not as sharp and soon go.  Diet is important and I paste a reply that I have posted before: -  I expect you have read some of my replies to folk on here.  I have had Diverticular Disease since 2006.  There are a few rules to follow - NEVER have seeds, nuts, pips or skins (not even dried fruit as the seeds and pips are still there; only smaller and dried) as these bits of nut; seed and pip can lodge in the DD pouches/pockets.....and the first you know is when they have festered away for several days and suddenly you get hit with the pain you have just had; yes - you think you are dying......and left untreated; you likely would.  I am not scaremongering; but his is a serious condition we have; and we need to make life changes to reduce the bouts of infection. Also avoid veg and fruit skins as these can get stuck; that means sweetcorn and peas and pulses generally are a no; no.  Find your own way with the "windy" veg like cabbage; broccoli; leeks and onions - I am fine with them; some are not.  Likewise garlic and spices - I cannot tolerate them; others eat them and are fine.  These windy veg and spices do not cause infections; but our guts react to them quickly with pain that is a response and reaction; which can be as painful as an infection.  The other thing to remember is NEVER to get constipated.  Take something like Fybogel to keep things in that department regular.  Straining a gut that has weak points; can created new pockets/pouches (and we do not want any more of them than we already have!!!) Even following all the "rules" on diet; I was ill more than I was well from Nov 14 til July 15 - but then from advice on here; I began taking high dose acidophilis from the UK Holland and Barrett health stores (20 billion) which are healthy bacteria for the gut.  I have been well since July 2015.  It is a JOY not to be in pain.  I wish you well with all the changes you make...I can have red meat, pasta; pizza with no problems. Some say red meat gives them pain.  While your gut is inflamed; keep your diet light, bland and LOW fibre - as you get better and the gut pain goes; increase your fibre intake.
    • Posted

It still does not explain the differences. Mine is a few seconds and can originate anywhere on the abdomen. It happens when I reach or bend. It is acute and brief. It is like something reacts and pushes up and goes hard then gradually subsides. I have stopped eating porridge but that has not stopped these sudden reactions to movement. 

I am hoping someone can relate to what I am saying. It is not a prolonged attack. It quickly goes as it stops twisting or whatever it is doing.

• Posted

Yes, I have. After seeing your doctor he will probably will put you on a liquid diet, along with the antibiotics he has prescribed to you. Hope you feel better
    • Posted

Are you saying you experience the occasional pain in one spot on the abdomen which can be anywhere and goes hard and then subsides. 

Blood tests were clear. I doubt he would give antibiotics for one symptom which may or may not be due to diverticulitis. He diagnosed the divertilitis from a colonoscopy he did. Most of the time I have no symptoms. I am just puzzled by this weird reaction to reaching or bending and trying to find someone who has the same thing happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.