Is ablation for WPW worth it?? ❤️

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this and looking for any information or advice people can give smile I was diagnosed with WPW 10 years ago now when I was 14 and have been on Atenolol ever since. The medication has done an amazing job of controlling my symptoms and minimising episodes but of course they are still there from time to time. I have found recently that I am unable to drink alcohol almost at all (not a huge deal to me but just a change I have noticed!). I also find myself wanting to join the gym for example or go for a run with my friends but too scared to do so. The symptoms arnt very regular but I find it is something constantly at the back of my mind and somewhat holding me back. I have had consultations about having an ablation and am aware of the risks involved which do scare me (even a blood test at the doctors freaks me out!). But I have also read a lot of story's from people who say it's the best thing they ever did and not a big deal! I guess my question is to anyone who has decided to go through or not go through with it and you reasons behind the decision? Thankyou in advance! ??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey beth51018,

I understand you 100% I was diagnose in November of 2016 and my doctor told me I need to go further with the procedure but I hate hospital lab rooms and he even offered me medication but I denied it because I hate taking medication Lol. So I'm currently just dealing with it, Yes it scares me at times. Even with working out, jogging, and it's even more emotional when my son wants to go to a theme park to ride on rides and I have to take someone with me so they can get on the rides with him 🤦🏾???. I stay on the 3 floor and I struggle everytime which I hate. So trust, I understand... but at the end of the day it's all up to you. I read when people get the procedure done their good to go on the first try, where others on the other hand have to do it Multiple times. Look at your situation and decide and go from there

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply! I understand, that must be difficult with your son. I know, I have read stories where people still need lots of tests and sometimes another go after the procedure but I guess nothing is 100%! Will you ever consider having it in the future?
    • Posted

Yes, I will consider it in the future, because the doctor told me if I wait to long it will cause damage, so maybe with in a year or two. Wish you the best of luck hun!
  • Posted

Hi Beth,

?I was diagnosed with WPW when I was around 12. My parents never really considered long-term medication for it and I got an ablation within months of them diagnosing it. I've had no complications from it so I would have to recommend it. The experience itself was really rough since I hated needles and having a catheter is an experience I hope to never repeat. But the fact that my heart will never go into SVT again is reassuring. I'm actually a college student right now attempting to write a paper about personal experiences of WPW, and I found this thread in the hope of finding someone to interview in-person for the assignment (it's one of the requirements unfortunately). Seeing as it is required to be an in-person interview, you can go ahead an ignore my request if you don't live in Arizona. But I had to send this message just to see if by some miracle you live in Arizona and were willing to be interviewed on this topic, in which case I'd be happy to give you my email to correspond more. Good luck!

?-Sydney

• Posted

I was also diagnosed with WPW at about that age. I first tried the atenenol, and it helped some but made me feel like a zombie. My doctor suggested abalation , and yes it was scary but SO worth it. Unfortunately I am now diagnosed with WPW again, which my doctor warned it was rare but could come back. I would just suggest you talking to your doctor about your options. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.