Is adrenaline the key to migraine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Here’s my take on the causes of migraines – adrenaline!

I started suffering migraines at the onset of puberty which suggests to me there is a link to hormones (adrenaline?). Most of my migraines occurred during exercise. What is released during exercise – adrenaline.

Later I discovered that my tongue would become sore when I ate oranges. My body was reacting to something in the oranges because I am allergic to them. What is the bodies natural response to an allergy, it releases adrenaline.

I have suffered from anxiety for no apparant reason for as long as I can remember basically always feeling anxious and biting my nails. People who suffer migraines are 3 times more likely to suffer anxiety/depression. Why do I suffer anxiety because I believe my body has a genetic tendancy to either over produce adrenaline or does not break down adrenaline properly which means I have excessive amounts of adrenaline running round my body which keeps your body in a constant state of fight or flight which over time leads to anxiety and for some people depression.

Seeing my daughter suffering in the same way, I sought help (45yrs) took a course of anti-depressants and tried CBT. Having had no migraines for 3 years (avoiding oranges like the plague), I suffered 8 migraines in 5 weeks and came off the anti-depressants (which incidently made no difference to the anxiety). Why did I suffer migraines, I suspect the antidepressants caused me to release excessive amounts of adrenaline. I have now started a course of propranolol which is for anxiety and controls the release of adrenaline. I’ve only taken 2 tablets so far but no nail biting since I took the first tablet last night.

Does it not say it all but propranolol, which is used to reduce anxiety, is prescribed as a preventative medication for people who suffer migraines. Incidently, I had excellent results when I tried St Johns Wort, however, my GP was against it because it is not controlled so there is no guarantee of it’s strength or quality.

I really hope this will help others, I am no medical professional and only talk from my own experience and research.

Phil

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Isn't propranolol for high blood pressure too? A beta blocker? I get these meds. so confused. How long have you been taking it and has it stopped your migraines? Does it give you any side effects?
    • Posted

Yes, you are correct, propranolol can be for high blood pressure and is a beta blocker. They are prescribed for anxiety and also to prevent migraines. Fortunately, I don't get enough migraines to be a measure of how good a medication it will be for migraines as before I tried anti-depressants, I hadn't had a migraine for 3 years. I have only taken 3 tablets so far and no side effects as yet although and I'm not biting my nails which is a good sign.
  • Posted

I hope that this will help you. Keep us up to date every so often to let us know. Best wishes!
  • Posted

Thanks Phil, I will look into this further. My symptoms definitely seem close to yours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.