Is AF in the Genes??.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well, I found out by accident today that my mum suffers from AF and my uncle (dads brother) does too, when my wife rushed me up to the A&E on Xmas eve when I had my first real episode of AF they asked me if anyone in my close blood family suffer from it and I said no as had no idea at the time. It now makes me wonder if you can be predisposed to AF if it runs in the family so to speak?.

To all members on here, Do any of your close relatives have it or any similar types of conditions SVT AF etc?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think there may be some truth in this.  I found out recently an older uncle had it and never had any treatment (it was slow rate so didn't impact him too much). 

• Posted

Hi Andrew

I was diagnosed a year ago age 49 I am sure I had been living with it for many years I believe there is a genetic link as my grandad had AF and since found out my great aunt has it too

Hoping to find out lots of good info on here !

Was just reading many AF sufferers also have acid reflux problems that's me too and am on meds for that too 😔

• Posted

Hi Laura

I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and been a member here about 4 weeks. I find this group a hive of clued up experienced and very friendly folks who listen to your worries and questions and don't mind sharing their experiences with us. It is a godsend and has stopped me from a lot of anxiety and worry especially over the Xmas and new year period when I was at my lowest and at rock bottom as my family and so called friends have been little to no support even though I've found out since that two of my family have AF themselves!!

Best of luck Laura and take care!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.