Is all this due to vit d deficiency?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

for the past 6 months I have been experiencing the following symptoms and all tests from msk, cardiology and the vascular department have all been negative... apart from my vit d levels. They came back at 21 and im told anything below 30 is deficient. Symptoms have been

pains down arms, chest pressure, shoulder pain both sides (feels like the bones), shoulder blade pain both sides (under the bottom of both blades sending pain into arms), vertigo, tinnitus, shortness of breath, muscle twitches/spasms, back ache between shoulder blades, rib aches and pressure, palpitations... I think thats about it.. 

I had an mri done by msk on my back and neck that found only mild to moderate degenerative disc disease in the upper thoracic area that could explain the back ache and possibly the rib problems but not the rest of the symptoms. Cardiology found nothing, all bloods are fine, holter monitor found nothing and had two echo cardiograms that were fine. ECG several times always normal, blood pressure and heart rate are within normal ranges. I am baffled as to what is causing all this and so are the docs. Anybody got any ideas? I have only just found out about the vit d and that test was done on my request as i had read it can cause multiple problems. I just wondered if this could be my problem solved or if i need to keep looking. Any help much appreciated guys

Thanks

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms indicate you maybe having Afib symptoms ... shortness of breath and shoulder blade pain, etc. 

But your sayingthat ECG is normal. 

Pain in eear ... vertigo ... ? 

Do you live or work in a polluted environment... can also cause these sysmptoms.

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply

I have had sveral ecgs that have all come back normal. I dont have ear pain either. I actually work as a surveyor on the drainage network. Why do you ask about the polluted environment? do you think i may have picked up a virus or something? 

The shortness of breath thing is more like a feeling of not getting a satisfying breath sometimes that can last for a couple of days/weeks then disapear, there is no laboured breathing and i dont get breathless easily

• Posted

Yeah, it could be infectious or something related to breathing bad chemicals/fumes.

• Posted

I'm posting things on as many forums as I can because I searched for answers for so long. 

Go gluten free for 7 days (longer is better, at least 2 weeks/months, etc....but people get overwhelmed) but just try 7 and see if you feel any different.  If not, you can always go back to eating it.

It's not as over whelming as people make it.  Just pick up what you normally eat, if it says "wheat" don't eat it.  Pick something else.  If you feel no different, carry on with eating gluten. 

• Posted

Low vit D could cause all that - surprising but true!

However - what does msk cover? Have you just seen a physiotherapist/orthopod or have you seen a rheumaotlogist too? 

Low vit D is often found in autoimmune disorders and a lot of those symptoms could fit with some of them. Rheumatologists deal with many of those. 

And how old are you?

• Posted

hey Eileen,

msk is our musculo skeletal department. I had physio and an mri scan from them then they discharged me as they didnt think they could do anything else. I am 37 yrs old. Never seen a Rheumatologist ill look into that thanks. I know vit d can cause a lot of things but i wasnt sure if mine was low enough to be responsible

• Posted

If you were a bit older I might have suggested polymyalgia rheumatica but there are things there that don't quite fit - although they might fit with its big brother giant cell arteritis and it is possible to have it at your age and there are other forms of vasculitis. They don't always cause raised inflammatory markers (sed rate and CRP) so that may be a bit of a red herring.

Good luck!

• Posted

Dean I have both a vitamin D deficiency and a vitamin B12 deficiency.  I take a shot every other week for my B12 and it is staying normal but the doctor is having difficulty finding a level that is the right dose for the vitamin D.  The doctor just increased the D to 5000 mg a day.  I knew it was low because I get this zapping sound in my ears every time it drops too low.  Sure enough I had the zapping sound which you say you have tinnitus which is more of a high pitched buzz.  I have been diagnosed with tinnitus from a Traumatic Brain Injury and I get the high pitched sound too.  But the vitamin deficiency for me is like the sound a bug zapper would make.  Strange right?  But your symptom of tinnitus could be linked to the D.  When I was first diagnosed with the tinnitus before even knowing I was vitamin deficient the ENT put me right onto B and D vitamins for it.  The other issues you describe can also be symptoms of a B12 deficiency so you may consider reading up on that.  I believe you can buy something called a sublingual vitamin which you dissolve under or on your tongue.  Often doctors start with that before providing shots to see if your level increases.  For me it stayed low so I went to shots.  With my dad he was able to back to the sublingual oral vitamin after being on shots for a while.  
    • Posted

It is essential to have a heathy Folate level to process the Vitamin B12 you are supplementing as it "gets used up" in doing so..

"Folic acid is crucial for proper brain functioning and plays an important role in mental and emotional health. It helps in the production of DNA and RNA, the body's genetic material, especially when cells and tissues are growing rapidly, such as during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. Vitamin B9 works with vitamins B6 and B12 and other nutrients in controlling the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine.

Rich sources of folate include spinach, dark leafy greens, asparagus, turnip, beets, and mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, lima beans, soybeans, beef liver, brewer's yeast, root vegetables, whole grains, wheat germ, bulgur wheat, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, salmon, orange juice, avocado, and milk.

Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) University of Maryland Medical Centre

Personally I take 1 – Folic Acid 400µg every day as a "maintenance" dose in addition to what is fortified in my breakfast cereals and what I get from eating "my greens" and I'm still "clivealive" at 75.

• Posted

Hi Clive, Thanks for your input/advice. I am back at the docs on Tuesday so i will mention the things you talked about and see about being tested. 

Hopefully it is just deficiencies and I can get on the mend with the right supplements

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and advice I will continue with the D and see about getting tested for B12 and see if that helps

• Posted

Awesome thanks for the info.  I will add a folic acid supplement to my vitamins as well.  Just to help support the foods I already eat on your list.  I remember when I was pregnant taking folic acid and then after that I never took the supplement again.  Knowing how it works with the b12 as you explained makes sense because of my b12 deficiency.  Thanks again. 
    • Posted

Tinnitus is one of the (many) symptoms of a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.