Is an EMG Necessary?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am pretty sure I have CTS - but I really do not want to have the EMG test done. I have been told this is necessary to diagnose CTS. Are there any other options or home remedies to try and treat the CTS?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if there are any other tests, but I was told this was the best way to make sure you indeed have CTS.  I went through this test and it was painless.  You just feel a slight shock, but there is no pain.  It's almost like them testing your reflexes when they knock your knees with a rubber hammer.  

• Posted

It's a good test to determine CTS.  I had it done and it didn't hurt. If you are concerned though, take a xanax or valium before you go.  There are lots of ways to delay surgery.  I delayed mine on my left hand 4 years by wearing night splints and trying not to use it as much.  Did the phsyical therapy but it didn't help much. Lots of good articles and ideas online. Youtube has some nice videos of exercises to do.   In my case, surgery fixed the CTS but caused another painful issue so try other things first but get that test done!

• Posted

It's not usually necessary for diagnosis (though if your clinical presentation is not typical it may sometimes be needed for that) but it does give an objective measure of the degree of nerve damage which helps in planning treatment. Furthermore, if you have surgery and end up with a bad result the pre-operative NCS results are invaluable in working out what has gone wrong. Why don't you want them done? Have you tried the obvious first aid measure of a splint? Dr J Bland

• Posted

I have always heard they are terribly painful, and there have also been people that have CTS but the surgery does not correct the issue. Plus, money is an issue.
    • Posted

They certainly should not be 'terribly' painful - more like a little uncomfortable. There are however quite a lot of variations. In the USA they are likely to involve quite a lot of needles which can be very unpleasant if you do not like needles. In the UK we rarely use needles for CTS but occasionally you do come across a patient who finds the electrical stimulation very unpleasant - about one a year in my clinic out of 4500 patients. If money is an issue I guess you are not in the UK.

• Posted

Hi, I was very afraid of having the EMG test. I am so afraid of needles I nearly faint at the sight of 1!!! I finally got my nerves together enough to have it done & believe me it was a breeze! I'm happy I took the test because it showed how severe my carpal tunnel had progressed. Please, don't be afraid of the test. From what I understand it's the only test that can truly tell whether you actually have carpal tunnel. It takes about 30 minutes, they make you very comfortable & before you know it it's over. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I completely understand any nervousness about the test. This is one of many tests that can be performed to assist in the diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel syndrome such as the flick tes, tinnels sign or Phalen's manoeuvre. Many of of the others can actually be performed by yourelf at home.

My name is James O'Donovan, author of "Carpal Tunnel. The Truth. The cure" designer of the Carpal cure program and founder of Fresh Reality Health. With regard to your inquest about alternatives, there are in fact some tremendous ones.

Carpal Tunnel is very commonly misunderstood and thereofre misdiagnosed and mistreated.

I am just launching a new carpal cure program that consists of Book, Video tutorials, podcast, forum (like this) and more that I will be launching. I am however looking for those who are suffering from Carpal tunnel to offer them a place on it for for free in exchange for some feedback.

Would this sound like something you might be intersted in?

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

James

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I completely understand any nervousness about the test. This is one of many tests that can be performed to assist in the diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel syndrome such as the flick tes, tinnels sign or Phalen's manoeuvre. Many of of the others can actually be performed by yourelf at home.

My name is James O'Donovan, author of "Carpal Tunnel. The Truth. The cure" designer of the Carpal cure program and founder of Fresh Reality Health. With regard to your inquest about alternatives, there are in fact some tremendous ones.

Carpal Tunnel is very commonly misunderstood and thereofre misdiagnosed and mistreated.

I am just launching a new carpal cure program that consists of Book, Video tutorials, podcast, forum (like this) and more that I will be launching. I am however looking for those who are suffering from Carpal tunnel to offer them a place on it for for free in exchange for some feedback.

Would this sound like something you might be intersted in?

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

James

• Posted

Bear in mind however that the Tinel, Phalen and Flick signs (and other provocative tests) are all much less accurate than nerve conduction studies, in some cases no better than tossing a coin, and give you no real indication of how severe the nerve damage is. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

Yes, very true in some cases, however the EGM also has little ability to help in distinguishing between Thoracic outlet syndrome and Carpal Tunnel.

To be clear, I am in no way discouraging the test but simply offering a solution with regards to fully understanding the condition and more effective treatment options.

• Posted

EDX are actually quite good at detecting neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome, though they are not much use for vascular TOS of course. JB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.