IS AN MRI NORMAL IF YOU HAVE complex cyst ???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have a multi cystic cysts on ovary with solid elements,septations and nodules.i have a gyno appt wed and hospital have just rung asking me to go for a pelvic mri on Monday before Wednesday's gyno appt ? I'm panicking is This normal for complex cysts an mri I'm scared I have ovarian cancer is this what they're checking ?????help please I'm panicking xxx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think it's normal practice to go for an mri when you have an ovarian cyst. Have they taken a blood sample to test ca125?? Its one way they check if it's cancerous and the mri can give clues as well. I'm sure you'll be fine, it's something like a 2% chance of being cancerous. Try not to panic xx
    • Posted

Yes had ca 125 blood and was normal 24. and 3 scans now.he said mri follows if cysts don't resolve and are complex.mri are done more than ct in UK.i have 3 cysts which are part solid and thick septation. and I shouldn't have googled as I now believe I have ovarian cancer !!!! I have mural nodules on cysts (solid bits in cyst walls) no blood flow to cysts is this good ???
  • Posted

Not sure, but maybe they just want to get another look... I started with CT scan ordered by urologist and then gyn ordered ultrasounds.
    • Posted

Thanks you went other way round didn't you as you kept weeing? I keep weeing too.i ring my hospital and they do mri as follow up not ct as wants a clear picture I feel so sick xx
    • Posted

It's complicated.  Off and on, I was on a few different medications to reduce the urination frequency, and they helped, but at this point it's more frequent than usual but less frequent than it was... the gyn said that she probably shifted the ovary a bit during exams, ultrasound, etc.  It's all just a little too weird for me at this point!  🙃
  • Posted

Hi Michelle.  I had a complex cyst with blood flow, I discovered it having a vaginal ultrasound and she turned the sound on so I could hear it..it was like hearing my babies when I was pregnant. Like you I googled and got quite scared.  From there they were testing for cancer, which is good, you want them to be thinking about the worst, but hoping for the best. My CA 125 was raised and CT scan inconclusive so then I had an MRI.  They thought that looked fine, but said it needed to come out to be absolutely certain. So I had it removed a few weeks later and biopsy came back absolutely fine. It's natural to worry and I hope you're getting lots of support, but it could be quite harmless.  Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Oh thank you for this.did you know the features of the cyst ? I have 3 small one so it's multi cystic cysts are small but no blood flow.there was blood flow in January's scan but not march.did you have a injection for mri and a relaxant for bowel ? I'm sure that's what she told me on phone that I might get blurred vision !!!!
    • Posted

I didn't really ask the right questions. At different times I was told it was complex, with solid and liquid bits, then simple. Then recently (because I have to have a second one removed!) they said the original had lots of separate compartments. But yes, I did have the injection - it was really strange - a wave of heat goes through your body and as it reaches your legs you really feel like you're wetting yourself! But not at all painful, a very easy experience. I don't remember any blurred vision. When I had my MRI close to appointment he said he didn't want to discuss even though he could see the results, because he needed to discuss with oncologist, but again, everything turned out fine in the end, so don't worry if it happens to you to. 
  • Posted

My cyst was very similar to yours.  My cyst was also the size of a football.  Mine turned out to be benigned so please don't worry too much!  More than likely they are checking for ovarian mass, however the only way to know for sure is to have a procedure to remove it (if the cyst is even large enought).  Keep in mind that most cysts are benign.  

Hang in there and good luck!

• Posted

Hello do you mean you had septations mural nodules Rhonda? I have 3 small cysts largest being 20x14 mm but I don't think size means anything.x
    • Posted

Hi.  I had septations and blood flow in my cysts.  I had no symptoms with my cyst, and given its size you think I would have.  Try not to worry too much, you will only stress yourself out and in the end more than likely you will be okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.