Is anyone better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm definitely going through a low patch right now and feeling really defeated. Has anyone had a "happy ending" with citalopram? Can they genuinely make you feel 100% better or am I going to have to deal with this average and low mood forever? 😟

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You will feel better with citalopram but it takes time, I don't know how long you have been on them but I feel better on it.

• Posted

Yes - most definitely.  I suffered for 16 years and Citalopram helped me recover 100% and I remain well still today.  Took 6 months to feel completely anxiety free, and continued to improve for another 6 months after that.

I can only say to continue through thick and thin ....... however bad it feels, just persevere.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I've been on for nearly 9 weeks. Felt better after 2 then down again for a week then almost normal since then until the start of this week. I'd had a brand change of citalopram which I've now gotten rid of and have my old brand back but it's as if I've started all over again with the side effects and low mood. I'm not sure if I have the energy to do it all again, it was unbearable the first time.

• Posted

That's the nature of recovery and how these meds work - up and down all the way through until it eases and finally stops.  Everyone gets confused when this yoyo pattern starts and thinks the meds aren't working.  They are.  They also take a very long time to work.  I didn't notice any changes until around 3 months and it took until 6 months until I'd recovered.  This timespan works different for each individual, but count recovery in months, not weeks.  Accept this yoyo-ing as part of recovery - and just keep persevering.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your experience, it's nice to hear from someone who's gone through it and come out the other side. This is all new to me and I'm trying so hard to understand what's going on and why in order to get better but it's felt like as soon as I feel I'm getting somewhere, life creeps back in and kicks me back down. I understand it'll be a long process as I'm sure I didn't get like this overnight, I just wish it wasn't so hard sometimes xx

• Posted

Yes it can be a long process and its different for everyone.  Those knock backs are frustrating and does feel like you're back at the beginning each time, and its your reaction to them that matters.  Fight it, tense up, run away doesn't help, but go with the flow, relax, let it all wash over you, know they're part of recovery and accept them they'll get easier.

Those setbacks will happen all through recovery though, getting easier as time goes.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.