Is anyone else dizzy on propranolol ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started taking 40 mg of propranolol 6 days ago for migraines. I have been dizzy, lightheaded, energy less and nauseous. Is this common?  Should I expect this to pass? I am supposed to double my dose today but I'm not going to. Thank you for your feedback 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It should pass. I take 40mg 3 times a day for migraine prophylaxis. It might be worth checking your blood pressure. I take metoclopramide for Nausea anyway, but I can certainly remember being light headed. Be very weary about weight gain too. I've put 3 stone on in 5 years.

Take care

Latchy

• Posted

40mg is quite a hefty dose to start you off on..

Is it slow release or fast acting?

How soon after taking it do you start to get these symptoms?

• Posted

I'm actually taking 80 mg once a day. I called my pharmacist and he said to cut it in half for the next few days. Increase slowly. I'm not sure if it's slow or fast acting. My symptoms started a few days later. I really don't need any weight gain. I have a problem with that already. Thank you for your replies 
    • Posted

Hi Else

What does it say on the box???

Does it say...... SR what's the name on the box or packet.

If it's slow release you shouldn't be able to cut it in half.

Slow release are usually in capsule form

• Posted

Mine are yellow pills with a line across the middle. So I can cut in half. It's in a pill bottle not original box. Thanks 
    • Posted

Just spoken To my friend who is a pharmacist.

She said the yellow tablets are fast release and 40mg is a high dose to start you off on.

She said you'd be better to take Bedranol 80 mg slow release tablets.

I can't even tolerate 10mg fast release but 80mg slow release were better for me.

Yes dizziness lethargy and lack of motivation side effect if your tablet

Hope this helps

Rose

• Posted

Thank you for that. I appreciate it. I'm actually on 80 mg. no wonder I feel dizzy. My parmacist told me to cut back to 40 mg a day then increase slowly.
    • Posted

That explains why you feel dizzy and sick.

You need to ask your doctor for slow release (modified release) propranolol.

It's a much smoother way of delivering the medication to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.