Is anyone else feeling really tired with PR? Also sunbed question?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I've been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea by a doctor last week. I think I began to get it on the 25th of december. I felt really stressed, I had a lump on inside of my cheek (I might've just bitten it in the night as it went down), then a couple of days later I had a fever, sore throat, aching joints and felt very tired and generally unwell. My herald patch came out on the 29th of december on my stomach and I still had aching joints, tiredness and the general feeling that I was coming down with something, I thought the flu or a cold at the time. 

The rash has spread more and it's getting very itchy. It's been 1 week and 2 days since the herald patch appeared but I'm still very, very tired. Is this relatively normal? Have any of you felt the same? Does it pass?

I've been using head & shoulders shampoo, calamine lotion, nappy rash cream, an emollient with lavender and tea tree oil mixed in, and eurax lotion (hydrocortisone). So far it's still itchy and still spreading.

I would love to go sunbathing but it's the middle of winter in England so no sun at all. I have seen that some people on here have used sunbeds which helped their rash immensely, but I'm scared of them after reading about the cancer rates (people who use a sunbed for the first time under the age of 35 increases the rate of developing melanoma by 65%) Is it really that dangerous or are those myths? Haven't had much luck in finding out when I was googling it. I'd like to try it out as so many people have had a lot of success with it! 

Thanks and hope you all heal soon! <3 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Melissa, I too went through the same thing the month of December it started off very small they said it was a drug rash they gave me a steroid shot and it went away as I thought 3 day's later it came back full blast and it was itching and blistering I was in pain I went to 2 doctors they kept saying it was a drug rash don't take any medication at all because I suffer from migraines so here I was head hurting ,body hurting I was miserable finally after Christmas I went to the Emergency room and that Dr confirmed that it was pityriasis rosea I had never heard of that in my lifetime but I had tried everything there was and nothing helped me until he treated me with (2) steroids prednisone and medrol and hydroxyzine I can truly say that I am halfway healed I'm almost done with my medication and it's already cleared up where it was very bad and blistered at this was no joke and it was very uncomfortable I'm glad it's almost over

• Posted

I'm glad your rash is finally going! <3 Did you feel very tired when you suffered from it? 

• Posted

Yes ma'am I did and I still do but long as that itching and the blisters went away I can deal with the resting part I just had never heard of this before and to go to certain doctors and have them say there was nothing that they could do was terrible

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I had PR in September for around 3 weeks. I felt REALLY tired, no motivation or energy. I would be almost fine one day then whacked out the next - so frustrating! I did do 2 short (6mins) sunbeds, head and shoulders and loads of vitamins. I was never very itchy but when I felt the need to scratch I used Aveeno body lotion which is brilliant. Pretty sure the mix of Aveeno and head and shoulders on the body helped me to heal quick. Definitely take vitamin D to get the sunshine in, also Beta Glucans I'm sure made a big difference (for immune system). Be patient, I know it's horrible but it will go away!

I have vague pale bits of skin where the spots were but I'm sure they will have disappeared after some sunshine in the summer. I'm also in England, so not much hope of sun for a while!

Take care and I hope you feel better very soon xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.