Is anyone else taking pueraria mirifica for Vaginal Atrophy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking pueraria mirifica with is a herb containing high levels of phytoestrogens, apparently higher than fenugreek or red clover. I have had no problems with it and my VA doesn't seem to be getting worse with time. In fact, intercourse is getting more frequent and if longer duration. However, I am doing lots of other things like using coconut oil and vit e pessaries (natural stuff only as I don't get on with topical,oestrogens, hyaloronic acid or water based moisturisers). I was wondering if anyone else had found benefit from using pueraria mirifica? 

I have read that: The effects of Pueraria Mirifica on menopausal symptoms appear to be potent, with one study suggesting comparable efficacy to estrogen replacement therapy itself. Requires more robust evidence, however.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Google for info on pueraria mirifica:

I have also read that it can enlarge breasts, although that may just be a myth. Nothing happened to mine sad

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the specific links as users can easily find information by searching for the herb name.

• Posted

You sound as though you are suffering from the same symptoms as me. I do not have any of the  medical  issues with atrophic vaginitis some ladies on this site report, except with intercourse which is difficult, if not impossible due to vaginal dryness which makes intercourse painful. I am now at the point where I am avoiding it altogether. I was prescribed Estriol by my GP but this only marginally helped, so i stopped taking it. What is pueraria mirifica, how do you obtain it and what does it do please?
  • Posted

Hi, Suki girl, I am 68 years old and had the menopause when I was 55, so 13 years ago.  I began suffering from vaginal dryness and loss of tone in my breasts.  After looking at herbal remedies for a natural form of HRT [doctors don't seem to want to prescribe for my age] I found peuraria mirifica information.  I used a trusted Thialand website and ordered 200 mg tablets and some breast cream.  For 6 months it was wonderful.  After a couple of months my vaginal dryness definitely improved, my breasts definitely became firmer and my hair and skin were better.  I even had improved pubic hair growth, which had definitely declined.  Then 2 months ago I got some vaginal bleeding.  It was only light and lasted for 5 days.  I went to my GP, who sent me to the hospital womens' investigation unit for cancer screening.  This all came back negative.  I thought it was a 'one off' and had not told the hospital I had been taking peuraria mirifica.  I think I felt a bit embarrassed about it.  Because the tests came back negative for malignancy and I have had the positive results that I have had from peuraria mirifica I continued to take it.  200 mg per day.  Then, 10 days ago I began vaginal bleeding again.  This time it is reasonably heavy.  The hospital had told me to contact them directly if it happened again, and I have done this.  I am booking in for a histeroscopy [camera into the womb] next week.  It is the earliest that they can do it.  I have stopped the Peuraria mirifica.  I dont know if this has been the cause and will now discuss it with the geanocologist when go next week.  This week I have been reading any medical research information that I can find on Pueraria Mirifica and have found some that recommends only 2 mg per kg of body weight to be safe.  I only weigh 55 kilos, so should by that calculation only have been taking 110 mg. per day. at the most.  I will post the results of my hysteroscopy
    • Posted

Hi, please do and I hope all is well.  I just found this forum, I am desperate to find something -- I fear my marriage could be in trouble if I don't find something that helps.
    • Posted

Hi Creative,

Dont dispair, there are plenty of things you can try. I assume you have vaginal dryness? If you do not want to go down the HRT route then there are vaginal moisturisers such as those that contain hyaluronic acid (e.g. Hyalofemme or the Boots equivalent), water based lubes that are also moisturisers (e.g. Yes water based). Many of us prefer oil based products and have found pure cold pressed organic coconut oil to be of benefit (applied regularly internally and externally with clean finger throughout the day - I apply after every time I go to the loo). vitamin E oil applied daily also (squeezed from the oral capsules) and Yes oil based lube (now available in applicators for easy internal use - I squeeze one in just before penetration). There are also vit e and coconut oil pessaries (Key-E by Carlson, available on Amazon), inserted before you go to bed. Yes oil based lubricant really helps with intercourse and for an extra slippery double glide effect you can use water based Yes on top of Oil based (oil and water don't mix). Sea Buckthorn oil, taken orally in capsule form, has been shown through robust scientific research to improve the condition of vaginal wall cells (but not necessarily the moisture levels) and to be a good alternative for women who cannot or don't want to use hormones - you need to take 3g a day to see a benefit (I have been doing this and I am no longer left sore after intercourse). I also take Pueraria Mirifica (contains high levels of plant oestrogen so) and have had no problems, but some women report return on menstruation. There are lots of discussions on this site relating to all these things. It is a matter of trying out everything and finding out what works for you.

• Posted

Suki,

is your doctor aware of what you are using and taking? (not that they necessarily know about natural remedies). What amount of the Pueraria Mirifica are you taking and how did you decide on the dosage? Certainly sounds as though Dotti was taking too high a dose. Not sure if she was following a practioner's advice or possibly what was on the bottle. I'm a bit paraoid about taking things that aren't proven to not be harmful (that being said look at what HRT did to women!). I need to study up an plant estogens vs animal re it's possible negative effects.

• Posted

I am taking 1 x 100mg tablet a day. I had read that it is quite potent and only a low dose is needed, but 100mg is the lowest capsule I can find. The bottle says take 1 a day. I think 200mg plus the cream was probably too much for Dotti.
  • Posted

I found a website that looks at scientific evidence for various claims and it said: There is currently no evidence to support the notion that this herb is somehow safer than estrogen replacement therapy, so their benefits and risks should be seen as interchangeable for the time being.

A regards to dose, it says: dose of 20-50mg of the herb is taken daily once in the morning. This appears to be significantly bioactive, and it would be advisable to not exceed this dosage.

• Posted

Found this well-designed publication in a medical journal. Basically they found that taking pueraria Mirifica had an oestrogen like effect on the vaginal wall, improving the condition and moisture of vaginal cells compared to a placebo, even at low doses of 20mg.

Menopause. 2007 Sep-Oct;14(5):919-24.Effect of Pueraria mirifica on vaginal health.Manonai J1, Chittacharoen A, Theppisai U, Theppisai H.Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: 

To evaluate the effect of Pueraria mirifica on vaginal symptoms, vaginal health index, vaginal pH, and vaginal cytology in healthy postmenopausal women.

DESIGN:

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Healthy postmenopausal women, age 45 to 60 years old, were enrolled voluntarily and randomly received 20, 30, or 50 mg of Pueraria mirifica in capsules or placebo in identical capsules once daily for 24 weeks.

RESULTS:

After 24 weeks of treatment, 71 women were evaluated. Fifty-one of 71 randomly received one of the three doses of Pueraria mirifica, and the remaining 20 received placebo. The mean vaginal dryness symptom in the Pueraria mirifica group decreased after 12 weeks of treatment. Pueraria mirifica increased vaginal maturation index (parabasal:intermediate:superficial cells) from 46:43:11 to 11:65:24 after 24 weeks of treatment. There was no significant difference of adverse effects between the Pueraria mirifica and placebo groups in this study.

CONCLUSIONS: 

Pueraria mirifica was proven to exhibit estrogenicity on vaginal tissue, to alleviate vaginal dryness symptoms and dyspareunia, to improve signs of vaginal atrophy, and to restore the atrophic vaginal epithelium in healthy postmenopausal women.

• Posted

Can you take Pueraria Mirifica as well as using Vagifem ? 
    • Posted

Doubt it, as PM has an oestrogen like effect. Double oestrogen may not be good.
    • Posted

Okay thanks. I have ordered some but will wait and see how I get on with the Vagifem first that my urogyn prescribed. ..early days !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.