Is anyone experiencing acne due to hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (Grave’s Disease). Before I was diagnosed, I started noticing acne breakouts along my arms as well as on my lower cheek, chin, chest and back. I have always had pretty smooth skin up until a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced any acne breakouts? Ive been taking Methimazole (5mg) and Propranolol (20mg) for the past 3 weeks and my acne hasn’t really improved. My main concern is if the hyperthyroidism is causing the acne breakout or could it be something else?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have Graves disease and I recently had some red spots on my arm.  I was worried that they might be tics.  I also was cleaning the stove with oven cleaner and spilled some on my arm so don't know if that was the cause of the lesions.  

• Posted

Hi Linda, do you have it only on your arms? Mine is on my face, arms and back and I am wondering if it’s from Graves desease.  My wedding is in 5 months and I’m worried that it may not clear up by then. 
    • Posted

Well I did have it only on my arms but I got a hive this morning where the eyeglass frames sit at the side of my nose.  One thing you might want to try although you have to get a prescription for this from your doc.  I gave it to my roommate who had some kind of rash on her face and it has cleared now and when I had hives on my face, it cleared.  I think it would work for acne as well.  It is Betamethasone scalp lotion.  Pour it on a cotton pad and rub it over the area you want healed, being careful to ensure you do not get it into your eyes.  Works for me.  It also worked for both myself and my brother for infections we would get from itchy skin inside the ears.  We both had this problem and would scratch until it became infected, go on an antibiotic, have it clear up only to come back again.  Once we did this swab thing with the Betamethasone, it never came back and if it were to, we would just swab the area again.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the info. I’m glad to hear you found a solution. 

I took vitamin D2 50 000 IU yesterday and it seems like everytime I take it my skin gets a little better but I feel so woozy, I dread taking it. I’m ready to try alternatives so I will look into betamethasone. Thanks for the advise and hope you feel better! 

• Posted

I usually take vitamin D3 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day because I am not a sun worshipper and in Canada during our long winters, I don't get enough vitamin D.  I was tested and found to be deficient in it.  Your dosage of vitamin D2 sounds really high although I don't know much about Vitamin D2.  My hive yesterday came and went and I have had no real problems with it.  At one time after starting the Methimazole, I had a hive welt across my forehead, and it successfully put it to sleep.  If you do manage to get the Betamethasone and use it, please let me know how it works for you.  As I said, it helped a friend of mine who had pimples for years, my brother and myself so if it works for you, that's another problem it is successfully treating.  Since it is an external source of steroid, it is not as damaging as swallowing a pill.

• Posted

I have an upcoming appointment and I will ask my gp if she can prescribe it to me. Thank you so much for the advice. I have changed my diet since, I excluded dairy, gluten, red meat and yea burgers too... sigh! If I see improvements I will update you guys. 
  • Posted

That's interesting.  I have red spots on my forehead and around my temples.  I've never had these before and noticed it getting worse this morning while I was brushing my teeth.   I have just started my meds.  I hope this goes away

• Posted

Hi Elisa,  do you think it’s because of Methimasole? I’ve been breaking out since I started having symptoms of GV. My husband and I do strength training and I thought it was due to over exerting myself or sweat but I think it’s due to my diet so for now I’m laying off of red meat, dairy and gluten and we will see how it goes. I also spoke to my cousin in law who has GV and she said she had breakouts or hives and she advised that I should take Zyrtec which helped her. Please let me know if you find a solution! 
    • Posted

Hi Nt14

I'm not sure if it is due to that but I hope it will go away on its on.  I'll look into that Zyrtec and if I find another solution, I'll for sure let you know.

• Posted

Hi! Since it's been 2 years is your acne breakouts treated already? I've also been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and i also have smooth skin but since then i had been experiencing breakouts and is it really because of Methimazole?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.