Is anyone having a normal life using Spiriva? How do you rate it?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Can you explain how Spiriva has changed your life.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been using Spiriva for a week now & the difference in me is amazing ........I can actually function normally now & have only had to use my blue inhaler twice.

Also luckily I don't appear to have any of the side effects...let's hope they are not famous last words !!!

• Posted

Symbicort here 2 puffs twice a day. 1 singular pill at night. Nebulizer 4-6x a day, and a Combivent inhaler 4x a day. I silk get short of breath. But it depends on the weather. A low pressure is worse.
  • Posted

I am on Spiriva 18 microgram Inhalation Powder (Hard Capsule) once a day, plus Seretide 500 twice a day.

I have only been on both for the past two days...diagnosed with Emphysema (COPD)

Told to clean teeth and rinse mouth after taking meds...

Already have dry mouth.Hope I don't get any other side effects.

I'm sleeping ok,as I have a sleeping tab.

• Posted

I forgot to add the Flonase...1.. Squirt up each nostril in the AM. Works real well. Also I cut out the nebulizer 4 days ago because of making my tounge feel like it was burnt. I can breath deeper and better now and am doing good at my Pulmonary Rehab. Also cut out white bread and anything white like pasta. Maybe I might slip but it's rye bread for me and other changes. A guy on Facebook has a COPD page and it has diets and all kinds of info also. I love this site and his. Both have helped me alot. As for sleeping I take Xanadu so no problems there except I sleep so good I wake up at 5 am..lol
  • Posted

Who is the guy on Facebook that has a page on COPD can I join please ??
  • Posted

It is..COPD... It is an open group. I think the guy that started it is named Greg. There area few different ones done are closed some are not. Let me know if you can't find it.
  • Posted

Can't find anything on Facebook about COPD.........
  • Posted

Hi Richard 

what do u mean by normal life with spiriva. No symptoms????  I have been on spiriva and symbicort since September. I have noticed a big difference in my breathing. It gets me coughing up flegm which is good. No wheezing and breathing easier.  How is it affecting you?  I am 74 and was diagnosed at 61 after being off the cigarettes for years. I have ventolin during the day. I take spiriva only once a day and symbicort twice .  Would like to hear how it affects u.

mary ann from new Westminster BC 

• Posted

Richard, I am new to this site, and have just recently been diagnosed with COPD. Presently, I am beginning my pulmonary rehab and will be completing 35 more sessions. 

I love Spiriva, since at first, after taking it, I did not think it did me any good. But, when I could not afford it one time, and decided to not take it anymore, I went about two days, and began having feelings of my airways shrinking, in which I did not care for. But then I got use to it (airway shrinkage feeling), and either got use to it or it went away, but for about five months, I went without Spiriva. But, now I am back on Spiriva, and can tell the difference. Yes, I like it, and I do not like the feeling of shrinking airway if I stop taking it...it is expensive because my insurance has it on a tier three medication! We need a generic one..help. Thank you!

• Posted

I've been on ir for years and find it helps. I had a new Consultant when I went to the Chest Clinic and she reckoned I didn't need it because I was already on a similar drug in an inhaler called Serovent. She was extremely "self-important" and I couldn't get a word in edgeways. She even told me there is "no difference between my living in a congested part of London with many car fumes. than staying with my son on various holidays right near the sea in a relatively quiet enviroment, What utter rubbish!  I asked my GP about the two drugs and he advised me to stay on them, so I did and it suits me very well. I also smoked like a chimney (same as Margaret above) but quit whilst in hospital after my second heart attack (plus 2 strokes earlier that year). Being in hospital finally helped me quit, along with a "vapour" e-cig when I came home, which I gave up after a week. I still find it hard when I'm around people who smoke, but have to stick with it. I won't be giving up my Spiriva or seeing that particular Consultant again, so I'm pleased it helps you. I have the type that you put in a capsule, press a button and then inhale. Afterwards discarding the empty capsule. I wasn't aware there was a different type and would be interested to read about people who are on the alternative.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

I have found spiriva helps me exercise better, I can bend over without feeling I have no breathing room in the diaphragm.

Although after 12 years on it I am beginning to wonder if it is affecting my eyes.  Just coming off it for a few week and then will restart to see if the eye problem returns.

• Posted

I should add that spiriva is not my only bronchodilater nor indeed the only inhaler medicine I use, so my lungs / airways won't be without medicine to help me breathe.

I wouldn't advise anyone coming off their medication if its the only one they have and of course its always recommended to check in with your doctor about any problems concerning medications.

• Posted

What is the best time of day to take Spiriva? as I've just been prescribed this medication today and G.P didn't tell me a thing. My breathing is always much worse when I lay down, so thought it might be a good idea to take it before bed. Have read that it has to be taken at the same time daily.

• Posted

I think its down to the individual, but yes same time every day, check the information again to see if they recommend a time of day.

I have always taken mine in the morning as I have another inhaler med that I take just before bed.

I think the morning is a good time as you can take it as part of getting up routine, you will find the info leaflet that comes with it recommends to brush teeth rinse mouth out after using it.

Another time in the day may not always be such a routine as when you get up in the morning.

I use 2 pillows and a neck hook to raise the upper chest so that breathing is easier (I cannot lay flat)  Other people use a V pillow, there was another post about this.

Spriva is a 24 hour brochodilater so it wouldn't be any more advantageous to take is before bed than in the morning.

• Posted

Thanks Vee2 I'll read the info leaflet later. Doctor has also prescribed a 5 day course of steroids which I'll start taking tomorrow morning too.

• Posted

Hey Richard

I've spent a life time of having very good vision.  Just recently found out that I'm going to have cataract surgery. Surprise!  Anyway, I'm not sure I can blame Spiriva or just old age.  I'll be 70 this year and I'ne been on Spiriva for over 8 1/2 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.