Is anyone on bupropion (e.g. Wellbutrin)?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor put me on bupropion 150 mg and this is my 4th day taking it. I've tried SSRI's (Paxil) beforet but got really tired of the sexual side effects and somnolence. Lately (6 months) I've only taken benzos occasionally for anxiety but as they're not for long-term use, I deciced to give bupropion a chance.

I don't actually have depression (which this medication is mainly used for), but generalized anxietydisorder which has gotten worse during the summer and fall. However I feel the anxiety had worn me out to the extent that I also have some symptoms of depression now (no diagnosis though).

Now 4 days into the pill I've noticed some side-effects: headache, slight nausea and a bit of a drowsy feeling at times. The headache yesterday was by far the worst symptom and it felt like I was hung-over. It's funny because I actually had a class of wine the night before (just one, which doesn't cause anything usually).

On the positive side I actually feel my anxiety levels are a bit lower now. I do get anxious but only on the level of 5 out of 10, compared to level 8-9 before this medication). There's also a feeling of being a bit more joyful or energetic now. It could be due the reduction of anxiety.

The pill should take weeks to kick in do I'm not sure if this is a placebo effect but there is a small however noticeable difference.

If you guys have any experience on bupropion please let me know. Has it been helpful and did you have any side effects?

Thanks! Violet

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Violet! 

I was put on wellbutrin for anxiety too... even though it's not meant for anxiety. My experience with it was not good at all. It made my anxiety 10x worse and made me get panic attacks. This was all within the first week. Since you're already 4 days in with minimal side effects you might be doing well with it! My only recommendation is to make sure your anxiety is improving within the next few weeks because technically this medication is not indicated for people with anxiety. 

-Brianna

• Posted

Thanks Brianna. How long did you use Wellbutrin before stopping?

Last night I had a very disturbing intrusive thought. It made me so anxious that I had a panic attack. This could be a side effect of the medication, or not. I've had ocd thoughts and anxiety attacks before so it was really nothing new. But I still feel pretty bad about it. You just want to find relief! I have this fear that I might have to go back to SSRIs or live unhappily ever after with anxiety sad

• Posted

Hi Violet! 

Sorry I am just getting back to you now. I just saw your message. I took the Wellbutrin for about a week before stopping it. What was your intrusive thoughts? Curious if we had the same one ! I know that this medication can induce those. 

Don't get discouraged! There are sooo many medications out there not just SSRIS/SNRIS! How long have you been on the Wellbutrin? If you have some benzos you might want to keep going for a bit longer and see if the side effects go away. (Obviously check in with your doctor to let him know how you're feeling)

• Posted

Hi Brianna and thanks. I don't want to get into details about my intrusive thoughts. In general, they usually have brutal themes like violence, death, inappropriate sexual things etc. I've had many of them.

I've been on the medication for a week now. The past few days I've felt nothing really. No side effects, no help. I'll wait at least one more week to see if it starts to kick in.

• Posted

Hi Violet, 

I don't blame you about not wanting to go into detail. I had similar thoughts! They were honestly worse when I was on the wellbutrin. That's a good sign that you don't feel any side effects! I would wait at least the next week maybe two! 

Goodluck! 

~Brianna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.