Is anyone still feeling a fluttering heart/achey chest after ablation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Salutations.

I'm currently 18 years old, female, and I was first diagnosed with WPW at 16 . Back in middle school/high school, my symptoms were very subtle and only flared up when I would partake in excessive physical activity. I was experiencing shortness of breath, SVT, dizziness, and I would occasionally pass out. As the years went on, I quickly grew less active as I transferred from a brick-and-mortar school to online home schooling. Not sure if this plays a role in this, but it wasn't until I stopped exercising when my symptoms started to grow worse and take a serious toll on me... not even physically, but mentally.

Anyway, I finally had an ablation done on Feb 15, 2021 and I will admit that I do feel a lot better than I previously did. Like much of you, I was told to expect light heart flutters and a slight ache in my chest during the first 2-8 weeks after the procedure. However, it's been 14 weeks and it's still happening. What I find particularly weird about this is that they seem to occur in "episodes." For example, the heart fluttering and chest pain once lasted for a span of 3 days (they got duller as each day passed). Afterward, I felt absolutely fine for next 8 days... then the heart fluttering and chest pain returned.

I've only had 1 follow-up visit since my procedure and my cardiologist says everything seems well and dandy, so I haven't worried too much about it... I kinda just brushed it off. However, there's still that tiny spark of doubt in the back of my brain that's dying to know whether this is something I should TRUELY be worried And that probably won't go away until I get some clarity first. Now, here's the real question...

Are any of you experiencing/have any of you experienced what I'm going through? Should I be worried about this or will it go away eventually?

For those of you who don't want to read all of that: It's been 14 weeks since my ablation, yet I'm still feeling a fluttering heart and achy chest.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Stacey

i had my ablation back in march 2020 following an episode i had in December 2019 that almost killed me. i didn't even know i had WPW id had episodes of palpitation's in the past but thought it was just normal. all i did was bend down to pick something up and boom it hit me. my heart was going 260 bpm and i lay on my floor waiting for an ambulance for over an hour and a half. anyway following my ablation i had an achy chest and chest pains they would come and go. still do. last months then disappear . then during my last pregnancy, baby is currently 9 months old. i went to hospital for an unrelated reason and they decided to do an ECG. i was told WPW showed up. I burst out crying i couldn't believe it was still there. eventually after my pregnancy i got to see my cardiologist. i asked him if it was normal to show up after you'd had an ablation. he said no. He said either it wasn't fully successful (the cardiologist who performed the ablation seemed very confident it was) or it had grown back slightly making a connection. Or i have multiple pathways and they only got one. so where we are at now is im just living with it. currently been having chest pains for a few months and decided I'm calling my cardiologist in the morning.

hope yours have settled down down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.