Is anyone taking Topamax Just for weight loss ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

so I’m taking topamax for losing weight. It’s just been 3 weeks starting at 25mg and now at 75mg.  Since day one I feel super sick from my stomach pains , gas, grossed out, super dry mouth and super thirty just for water.  Excessive urination, I can barely hold it.  My mind gets anxious of feeling so horrible.  Talking to my doctor tomorrow.  I want to stop this med ASAP.  I read a couple forums saying people had stroke as a result.  That super scary.  Anyone have anything positive to say about Topamax and weight loss?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been researching this medication and been on other forums and

NOTHING GOOD comes from taking Topamax!!

If prescribing doctor had told me

One of side effects was a stroke + I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT!!!!

GOOD luck my friend!!! Topamax is NOT a good medicine for ANYTHING!

• Posted

You are welcome, I am posting in as many places as I can to warn people.
  • Posted

I actually wrote an article about topamax, I forget where its at..lol Let me look for it and I'll post here..Good luck

• Posted

FOUND IT

I took Topamax for the first time as prescribed to do so by a dr. In the past i took Remeron, Ativan, and sometimes Depakote for anger issues. I recently went back to my dr. cause of a traumatic event that occurred and brought back all my depression, anxiety, and I haven’t been sleeping because reoccurring dreams which caused headaches.  I told him i don’t need Depakote my anger issues are stable and have been. The dr. suggested the new drug Topamax, because it can actually treat all three of my problems. In reality in the past I can take Ativan and Remeron before I go to be bed and wah la! The next day I would be fine no anxiety no depression and guess what no headaches from lack of sleep. But Topamax sounds like a great new wonder drug when the dr. explains it with no hesitation for prescribing it. Which makes me wonder is Topamax the next new big pharma drug like the Prozac craze that swept the nation and fattened the wallets of everyone but the patients whom it negatively affected? My curiosity got the best of me, and with some poking around and some amateur research this is what I recovered. Most of it came from inserts from health magazines and dr. articles as well as FDA reports and patients personals experiences.

So before its patent expired in 2009, the seizure drug Topamax made Johnson & Johnson a billion a year and it still made $538 million a year after its patent expiration. Topamax was such a favorite for pain conditions in the military it was given the nickname “stupamax” for the way it slowed reaction times and impaired motor skills, attention and memory, not too great for combat.

Topamax is an anticonvulsant drug approved for the treatment of seizures (epilepsy) in adults and children. It can be used alone, or in combination with other anticonvulsants. It is also approved for use in preventing migraine headaches in adults.

While not approved by the FDA for other illnesses, Topamax has been tried and studied in the treatment of tremors, nerve pain, cluster headaches, eating disorders, alcohol dependence, and bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression).

Does Topamax really treat so many disparate conditions that doctors prescribe it for everything, even when it is not FDA approved for these conditions? I must add thatTopamax is one of the most dangerous drugs in the prescription market today. ... Evidence is also accumulating that Topamax can cause brain damage!

My question is do you treat people with depression with meds that can cause depression and is it like treating someone with a flu vaccine cause your treating it with a live virus? Topamax was prescribed for me for depression, anxiety, and headaches. Whenever I start a new Pharmacia drug that I know nothing about I often write down my side effects. But with Topamax it went a lot deeper than I attended to. Here are some of the side effects from their website:

Abdominal or stomach pain

fever, chills, or sore throat

lessening of sensations or perception

loss of appetite

mood or mental changes, including aggression, agitation, apathy, irritability, and mental depression

red, irritated, or bleeding gums

weight loss

Back to the amount of money made from Topamax and why it is so ready for prescription. Even though being approved by the FDA only for seizures (epilepsy) andpreventing migraine headaches in adults and may have been approved for weight loss.There are dangerous side effects caused by prescribing Topamax for other ailments.

Why would you take an epilepsy seizure drug for pain? The same reason you'll take an antipsychotic for the blues and an antidepressant for knee pain: good consumer marketing. -- But it is still the darling of military and civilian doctors for unapproved pain and migraine. Topamax also has the distinction of looting $51 million from Medicaid last year despite a generic existing.

All seizure drugs increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors according to their mandated labels. An April article in JAMA found seizure drugs linked to 26 suicides, 801 attempted suicides, and 41 violent deaths in just five years. But yet I was prescribed one of them.

Also to add to it seizure drugs can make you lose your memory and your hair, say posters on the drug rating site askapatient.com

And yet there is so much money to be made off the suffering of patients, my next question is how the dr. will react to my side effects and wanting to discontinue use? Will he say that’s a normal reaction and it will go away with time and continue treatment. I can see why he would suggest that cause after the two week mark I’m supposed to take 4 pills an hour before bed. Increase of dose is an increase in prescription equals increase in the wallets. But I have a hard time taking something that has not been approved by the FDA and especially because it’s been on the list of top15 dangerous drugs.

My notable side effects from Topamax:

·         Numbness and tingled fingertips which prevent me to sleep, this was one the worse withdrawals symptoms I went through when i went cold turkey off of suboxone.

·         Agitated and irritable and sometime short fused

·         Watery eyes

·         Foggy head, problems with memory;  1985 i was given Ritalin and continued  all through college

·         Dry mouth and feeling dehydrated and somewhat lethargic 

·         My so called migraine moved to behind my left temple. I never had a problem with migraines it was caused by the lack of sleep recently. I took Depakote in the past for anger not for migraines.

·         Food and drinks taste weird

·         Lack of appetite

·         Abdominal discomfort                    

These are the side effects so far after day one on Topamax will continue tomorrow and as the day progressed some got added.

Again a reminder the only reason why I’m writing this is to keep my fingertips busy to avoid trying to chew them off. But my research only dove into the treating people with depression with Topamax and the adverse effects. I didn’t get into the dangers it has affected most in females especially pregnant females. But from my research consensus is that Topamax does help with migraines but on the other hand at times does nothing or even of reports of worsen.

Oct 24/17 I took 50mg of Topamax at around 12am I was supposed to take 100mg but again I have problem taking something I know nothing about. I did fall asleep but not for long only for a few hours as I woke up with numbness and tingly fingertips which in the pass was one of my worse symptoms that prevented me from sleeping after going cold turkey from suboxone after 7yrs of taking. It usual takes at least 4-5 hours for that restless feeling to go away in my fingertips to finally fall back asleep but if you think about it I just wasted my day.

I thought it was over around 10:45pm my entire body started over heating despite having a fan on me. I couldn’t get comfortable as I’m stripping down to my boxers. I also had immense pressure behind both eyes and that’s when the sharp abdominal pains started and lasted for some time. So what am I to do? I wanted this to end! As I lay in bed trying to get comfortable I look over and wonder as that bottle of Topamax stares at me. So I took 50mg hoping to get some relief even if it only for a few hours, but I have a feeling that my body is going to reject it like it did the night before. After taking it and 2 hours later with no effect, I took another 50mg in actuality what I am prescribed. Within a restless hour I fell asleep, but only to wake up again feeling some very familiar symptoms. I felt like I was going through some of the horrors of opiate withdrawal. My back felt like it was sunburnt and tingly, my body ached, and to add on the side effects from earlier. Again after a few restless hours it subsided and I was able to fall asleep but I wasted my day. I have so much pressure behind my eyes and basically my whole head which is making me miserable. This is only from two days of taking this wonder drug

• Posted

Thanks.  I HAVE BEEN SO SICK All week since the last day I took that crap.  Feels like you are coming off of dope no saliva.  I had to go to Urgent care yesterday, they gave me Zofram for the nausea, that worked.  Now I stayed home the worst diarrhea and cramping ever.  Freaking Devil Medidicine makes you think weird to and I only took it 2weeks 1day!

You are no longer talking that crap or are you?

• Posted

I’m coming off of this med too! I’ve been on it over 15 years! I was on 300 mg  for the prevention of migraine headaches, intensity and frequency. But! I’ve had it! In January this year( 2018) a friend I met turned me on to the evil of anti-depressants and all psychiatric medications. I detoxed. I have NEVER felt better! Folks, big pharma is owning you if you are on them. These meds are brain numbing and brain damaging! You will never get off, the Dr’s push them only for their agenda which is their pocket. My Dr including the previous one years ago misdiagnosed me, because they don’t care. I have PTSD from severe trauma. Did he ask? No. Talking about trauma is the answer, not numbing you with meds. Withdrawal was pure hell. I suggest you wean off . I am a medical professional and Follow Christ, and I had no damage. But, this took 8 weeks. I detoxed off cymbalta, Ambien , 100 Topamax and xanex which I took PRN. I was on these close to 20 years. I had every withdrawal symptom listed except hallucinations and abdominal pain and vomiting. Only 2 hours sleep a night for 8 days. The worst was extreme mood swings. SEVERE! But! Suicidal. But, God said I want you here. I made it. Now, with these migraines, which I’ve had since a Military accident at 18, I’m reading. This drug is evil too! And it explains my frequent urination and the small kidney stone I had, and fumbled words. I’m going to wean off this one. Please watch Dr. Peter Breggin’s Video “ psychiatric drugs are bad for you “ on youtube. All of his are informative. I hope I have enlightened you and helped at least one person to the evils of big pharma. Its about money. They don’t care about you. Be smart. Do your own research, and fire your Dr. best thing I ever did. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.