Is anyone there please

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have high moderate copd and have a chest infection.   It is only mild and under control but had a coughing fit earlier and my sats dropped to 82!   Omg!  have well finished coughing fit and they have settled at 90.  That is low isn't it?   Is my smoking coming home to roost?  Am I on a sliding slide as from now?  Help please.  x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi folks many thanks for your replies and help.  

I have a chest infection at the moment and am taking my ab's and steroids.  It's only a mild one thank goodness.

I think what happened the other night was I was coughing quite a lot and feeling sob so took my sats and they had dropped to 82.  At this I panicked and completely lost control having a major anxiety attack.   The more anxious I was the less anything including my reliever or deep breathing helped. 

Fortunately I am on another lung site and there were still a handful of people  up.  They came in and talked me through it and as my anxiety decreased my sats went back up to 88/89.    I really thought I was in serious trouble and didn't know what to do.  

Nearly everyone on the site had suffered panic attacks in the past so knew how to deal with it,  but most of them are more severe than me.  I am just grateful for them and yourselves for caring and trying to help so much.  God bless you all.

I am feeling much better today even if still sob but my sats are back at around 91/92 which I will take until my infection has gone.   I know I have to stop the smoking so am seeing this as a wake up call coz I never in a milllion years thought I would ever get into that state.   I know it will happen again unless I stop and one day it will be permanent.    Thanks again,  bev xx

• Posted

Still continuing to smoke is the worst thing anyone can do.
    • Posted

Yes madness to continue smoking Bev, continue and mild will grow to moderate and moderate to severe, its not worth it I've seen a few die because they never stopped smoking, one younger than myself and diagnosed after me with same level of lung damage as myself.  Such a waste of life, unecessarily early death.
    • Posted

It's not death which frightens me Vee but dying slowly over many years.   The trouble is I also suffer from depression (long preceeding copd) and I find the self care thing very difficult.  Most of the time I just don't care enough to do anything about it.    There are lots of ways I don't look after myself as well as I should.   I don't know how to learn self care though as telling myself off doesn't help much - a bit not not anywhere near enough.   I do feel I deserve everything I get most of the time.  Bev x

• Posted

Bev, you don't have to tell yourself off, you just have to be kind to yourself, your body is worth looking after because if you do, you won't have to deal with symptoms which will cause you more problems and result in more health issues. 

Its known that a poor diet will increase chances of depression and so will focussing on all the things you can't or don't do for whatever reason.

To help yourself, you have to want to feel better, improve frame of mind etc.  To affect changes you have to made choices, make efforts to achieve what it is you wish to achieve.

There's loads of help out there,  on the internet, through library books and dvds, you tube, and of course your GP, but its your choice if you take advantage of the help available, your choice, if you put the effort in.  No one else can help you unless you want that help.

If you want to make changes, and if your current method of treating the depression for instance is not working ask to try something else, another method of treatment. This may not mean another drug but another therapy.   

mood juice - google it, it may be of help. 

Life really is too short to waist on I can't or I can't be bothered, I deserve everything I get mostly, nothing helps,  persistent internal negative dialogue like this will not get you out of stuck.

On the other hand changing your internal dialogue or even just inputting some positive for every internal negative can help counter balance so you can cultivate an improvement of internal dialogue and positive change in your life.

Whatever life we have left is not worth wasting on doom and gloom when we can choose, decide to make changes that will enhance our experience of life.  If you want it, go get it, its not without effort, but rewards can be great.

Wishing you every success in all your efforts on whatever you decide. 

V

• Posted

You are so right Vee and I know it.   I do make enormous efforts to do self care and when I am not feeling so down I take advantage of it and make the appointments I need to such as dentists,  doctor,  glasses etc.   When I am feeling up to it I make the effort to cook good meals.   I exercise when I can too. 

That will have to do I'm afraid as it's the best I can manage.  I am 61 now and feel as though I am on the downward run now anyway.   I don't have any ambition left nor is there anything I am still desperate to do or achieve.   I just concentrate on enjoying life as much as I can and the future will have to take care of itself.   I just potter around in my own little world and try to avoid stress and aggro as much as possible.  

Thanks for your reply Vee.    Bev xx

• Posted

Hi Hypercat

I still smoke 4 a day but I also smoke electronic cigarettes bc giving up is not as easy for some people, have you tried them

Jillibean

• Posted

I am older than you hypercat but my main focus is to achieve a good life till the day I die, stay as healthy as I can by doing what I know is an aid in helping me achieve that.  

I don't consider myself on a downward run, but I do make a lot of effort to keep the equipment in a condition that can last a life time smile wink

My choice is to try and keep the body mind and spirit in good form and my order to the great one upstairs is when the time comes I die in my sleep or in the garden, no fuss, no hospitals.   I just feel for the one who inevitably will discover my body.

But I reckon I have at least another 15 years left in me if not 20 smile

Best wishes to you V

• Posted

My choice too Vee if I had a free choice which I don't.   I have suffered from depression all my life so it's a miracle I am still here at all.   I have long since accepted that self imposed limits on my life have enabled me to still be around so that is better than not being isn't it?

I could wish for the moon and the stars but know that's not realistic for me.  I am not going to go into the nature of depression or of mine particularly but it's a horrible and debilitating illness so I am grateful for what I have and what I can do. 

Thanks for your reply.    Bev x

• Posted

So sorry you never got the help you needed or need Bev.  Wishing you a new improved and more positive life experiences throughout 2016

V

• Posted

Thanks Vee.  My childhood depression was never picked up on by my family and by the time I had a breakdown at 19 it had become a part of my personality. 

I have had and still do NHS treatment but funds are very limited and most resources are targeted at those with more severe mental health issues.   Quite right too but there isn't much left for a high functioning depressive like me..   Thanks for your interest love.   Bev xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.