Is anyone using Gabapentin for meralgia paresthetica (burning pain in thigh)?

Posted , 5 users are following.

meralgia paresthetica is an unpleasant condition resulting in burning stinging pain in the outer thigh skin area. Some references indicate that Gabapentin might help relieve the pain. Is anyome finding it does help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan.I'm taking it as a nerve/pain block for IBS and associated back pain,600 mg at 200mg am,afternoon,pm.It works okay.It's used for MANY different pain/nerve block situations.My cousin has burning/prickliness going down her left leg pretty bad so that she can't really work.She is at 3600mg a day and it helps some.The only way to know for sure is to try but there are side effects which are different with everyone and take time to adjust in your body.Hope tihs helps.Prayers and God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

I don't know about meralgia paresthetica, but I am taking it for tingling, numbness and pain down my left leg all the way to my toes. My MRI showed a pinched nerve caused by a herniated disc in my back.  The pain can get very severe so I can relate to the patient who described hitting it to stop the pain. 300mg 3 times a day wasn't doing it so I am now taking 600mg about every 5 or 6 hours. Supplemented with Naproxen, I am able to sleep through the night, now. I believe it took about a week before I felt it was doing any good, so hang in there.

• Posted

I currently have that condition. Have been using gabapentin 300mg twice a day and it has helped but I'm starting to have symptoms of being allergic to it. I've had this condition going on 6 weeks have been taking medication for 4 weeks. Hope it helps on your decision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.