Is banting the answer?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just a medical question of sorts. Can Banting help improve the symptoms of GERD or acid reflux? What do you all think?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

excuse my ignorance but what's Banting?
    • Posted

It's a very popular diet where dieters are encourage to eat full fat ot full cream products to lose weight and live healthier lifestyles. The diet includes dairies, red meat, full car breads, etc. Apparently it can help cute quite a few stomach ailments and disorders, GERD being one of them. Lots of controversy around this diet though as doctors claim that it does more harm than good.
    • Posted

Apologies for all the errors. This is what happens when you have your phone on auto correct lol
  • Posted

If only a diet was that simple. Depends what causes your reflux. If your body generates too much acid you can't fix that by a diet change but you can eat foods that are not acidic. If you have a defective LES then again diet won't help you. 

For or me the only thing that works and gives me no symptoms is my PPI, just off to take it now for another pain free day 

• Posted

Do you just have pain or so you have breathing problems as well? Just thought I'd ask. I was given two kinds of PPI neither of which work. They only make my symptoms worse
    • Posted

I also found anything pasteurised is a BIG problem. I used to drink Tropicana orange juice but when told orange is only acidic when pasteurised I decided to squeeze fresh oranges (2) every morning. I can drink that with no reflux whatsoever.
    • Posted

I used to cough still when taking 30mg of Laranzeprozole and I wheezed and had tight chest sometimes. Now ditched the meds NEVER a problem.
    • Posted

Still stuck with it after ditching the meds. Either I'm doing something wrong or my GERD caused other complications
    • Posted

Hi,

I am wondering why you say diet is not working if you have LES problem.

My LES is not working good but I om on kinda strict diet to make it better, Do you think its useless?

I have seen some improvement in the last year but of course the problem is still there.

I would like to hear about your experience too.

Thank you 

• Posted

I have reduced reflux to an occasional minor irritation. I eat very small meals (think of a starter when eating out) so I never overfill my stomache and I have kept a diary to see what sets me off. I have given up ALL meat and follow a pescetarian diet although cannot call myself one as I can be tempted to eat bacon from time to time (offer me a bacon sandwich abd I am not going to say no). I have discovered that full fat milk is not good, or cream. Skimmed best. I buy long life and have discovered I need to not let carton sit in fridge for more than two days or just a humble cup of tea can set me off. As long as the milk is very fresh, no problem. I avoid salads and I cook veg very well. If I eat crisp food it causes reflux. I ditched the PPI meds. I am convinced I have too little acid, not too much. I feel great now. I can eat curry or spicy food, including cooked tomatoes. I don't drink coffee very much, mostly tea, no added sugar squash (very dilute) or water. Chocolate fine in moderation. Trial and error. I eat spreadable butter and hard cheese and eggs. Avoid soft cheeses. I try and restrict carbs too so modest consumption of bread, potatoes, rice. Veg a big part of my diet. Main thing is EAT LESS!
    • Posted

Doing that already and I have seen some improvement but I'm struggling with breathing problems too. Have no idea where I got this from. Doctor says it could be a result of GERD. Can this happen?
    • Posted

Do you have lots of fat around your middle? I can only go on my own experience as everyone different. I find that if I need to cough I do so more efficiently since not on PPI meds. I can cleR throat properly. I forgot to mention. I never eat between 6pm and 6am (sometimes eat at 4pm and not again until 9am). Fasting makes me feel good and I sleep much better. It is no longer that I wake up feeling like my lungs are congested from reflux.
    • Posted

I do actually. Was seriously overweight at one point. Lost nearly 30kgs. Still have 20 kgs more to go. I have also been eating between 8am and 6pm and no later. Raised my bed and everything and I mostly drink black tea. Just worried that I may have hurt my lungs somehow
    • Posted

Yes definately breathing can be affected. In various bits of research ive done its said that about 10% of asthma cases are mistakenly diagnosed which should be diagnosed as caused by reflux.

I have asthma, some allergic, but some certainly caused by reflux. 

I have what is known as silent reflux, ie not the usual symptoms of heartburn, but the refluxate gets up as far as the windpipe and some goes down into the top of the lungs. This is what causes the breathing problems.

Diet can help but its all very personal so you need to find your triggers and experiment - keep a diary as suggested above. But again as said above, if your LES is damaged you will still get reflux whatever you do, diet or PPIs.  But PPIs will at least stop what is leaking out of the stomach from being acidic.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I lost 10kg which made a huge difference. My take on this is that when you have lots of fat around the middle (most of my fat is around my middle, a real apple shape and obese) all your organs are squashed. My stomach no longer has the capacity to expand much so I 'pretend' I have a gastric band and need to eat abd drink modestly. If I start to cough when eating then I stop. I eat most of my meals in a bowl (when at home) and I make the bowl my limit. It is a modern deep bowl you find in supermarkets. What I call a cereal or soup bowl. I feel so much better since I gave up the PPI meds. Getting better week on week. You are doing all the right things. Keep on with weight loss and another thing that helps, for me, is walking. Clears the lungs. Best wishes, reflux is a horrid thing.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Dyezee and than's to you too Acidtrees
    • Posted

Hey AcidTrees, how do you know if certain things are causing a trigger? There is no tell sign i.e. heartburn which makes it hard to figure. I think I have silent reflux too because I had Oesophagitis but I never gotten heartburn in my life. 
    • Posted

Dear God this all sounds horrendous. I really don't want to be this ill. Can barely breathe as it is.
    • Posted

Hi vergil, my way of knowing is feeling a warm wash of liquid coming up into the oesophagus when the LES has leaked.  Some foods for instance make it looser. Alcohol does, anything with caffeine, plus sadly chocolate does, not just because of its caffeine but because it has a chemical in it called theobromine which makes the LES very loose. I've stopped having chocolate at all now for this reason.  Twice ive overdosed on it and found it take about three weeks for the LES to come back to baseline.  Spicy foods are another common trigger.

Although I dont get standard heartburn, some foods like lots of raw fruit will make me feel quite acid, sort of like heartburn but not so bad and I such a sweet or take sips of water to wash the acid back down again. Chewing gum works for that too.

I have had heartburn in my life, e.g. when pregnant many years ago, and ive also had oesophagitus which was dreadful, like hugely multiplied non-stop heartburn. Until that happened i had no idea i had a problem sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.