Is being a 24 yr old male taking 20mg of omeperzole twice a day dangerous?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been placed on a PPI called omeperzole I

Currently take 20mg twice a day for server acid

Reflux disease. The doctor told me that she has

Never seen acid reflux this bad in a 24 year old.

So far I been taking the medicine for about 2 month

I have not yet seen a change in the symptoms. She said that I would have to take this medication the

Rest of my life. Is it time to start thinking about

Having the acid reflux surgery to help fix this?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Joshua

I have taken 2 x 20mgs of Omeprazole for several years and am OK with it.

However I would say - this should have kicked in after a few days as it is a good drug for stopping the acid... A bit weird the Dr has told you you will need to be on it long term if it isn't helping you after 2 months.

I had the op 3 months ago. It is an option you can look into if your symtoms don't stop

• Posted

DId you doctor say to change your diet and way of eating along with taking the tablets?  That is very important.
    • Posted

Yes she told me to change my diet I have

Done so but I cant risk of me only being 115 pounds to risk of losing anymore weight. So that's why I have thought about having the

Surgery to fix it. My doctor has not said

Anything to me about the surgery I just been doing research and found that its a option

I really don't want to take a medication that's

Not working for me you know. I would much

Rather go through with having the operation

That way I'm not loosing anymore weight

And I don't have to take a life long medicine

I'm just at a lost of words. Is it ok to mention

To my doctor if I wanted the operation is that my right to decide if I want it or not?

• Posted

Joshua, before you decide to go for surgery, maybe you can ask your doc to do esophageal impedance & ph monitoring test. These tests are to check whether your esophagus is working properly and whether you indeed have abnormal reflux.

The endoscopy can tell whether you have physical prob like hernia.

If all tests are positive, then maybe surgery is the answer.

I talked to my doc the other day about surgery option. And he said many people still have the same or even worse symptoms after surgery as every surgery comes with a price (you alter your body). And the surgery- (fundoplication is the gold standard) is irreversible.

Therefore I think it's important to do the tests above before going down for surgery. The surgery is to 'tied-up' your esophagus so you won't reflux, but if your tests above are negative (which means you don't reflux) then surgery won't change anything or even make you worse.

I learnt the hardway that symptoms of stomach probs are overlapping to each other. which means I can have reflux problem with bloating but without heartburn, or gastritis with heartburn but without stomach pain etc.

If you do need surgery, then think of options like linx etc. Ask your doc what options you have.

• Posted

If you are considering surgery if it was me I would go see Dr. Koufman in NY. She is the last stop when it comes to acid reflux. If not go see the best in your state. If you want to gain weight eat more of what is allowed and do some approved exercises. If none of these are something you agree with then go meet some past surgery patients and hear their story of what surgery has done for them. I personally would be very hesitant to have surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.