Is bisoprolol fumarate enough?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagonosed with Atrial Fbrillation and the cardiologist who did the diagnosis did say that there's no physical cause for my Atrial Fibrillation and the cause is Pyschological. He did prescribe bisoprolol fumarate as a treatment, Is this treatment sufficient or was  he supposed to  combine anticoagulant drugs as well?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mostafa,I have AF for some time before I was diagnoised I'm also on bisoprolol and wafarin which I would suggest you also need in order to try and prevent a stroke,talk to your GP and see what they say.

Kind regards

Pauline

• Posted

He said that Bisoprolol is enough, I'm not sure why he didn't prescribe anticogulant drug for me!

• Posted

Cardiologist?? There is always a physical cause for AF but it can be triggered by any number of factors, stress being one of them. AF is caused by the normal electrical pathways in the heart, which generate the heartbeat, being disrupted.

I have found that my AF is a side-effect of my BP meds and that Bisoprolol has less effect than others. I also take Warfarin.

• Posted

Can you please explain:

" I have found that my AF is a side-effect of my BP meds "

• Posted

He said that the cause is Psychological like stress as you have stated and all the analysis that he did ask for did show that there was no physical cause for the AF
    • Posted

It's probably it is a "Lone atrial fiberation". I had one of these, the cardiologists did not find a cause, hence the name. Although you are right probbly environmental conditions like stress caused it. 2 months ago I had a catheter ablation that seems to have fixed the AFib

• Posted

I was not prescribed any blood thinner with my afib due to good health (good cholesterol numbers, good blood pressure, etc.).
    • Posted

My Total serum Cholesterol is 228 mg/dl and the blood pressure as well as the other factors are good. There's no need for blood thinner although my total cholesterol is a little bit high?

• Posted

Tie cholesterol is slightly high but with the other factors being in good shape, you may not need a blood thinner. How often do you have afib and on average, hire long does SC episode last. Also, what is your age?
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Afib 10/2015.  Prior to this, I had absolutely NO stress in my life whatsoever....I'm retired, and the only meds I was on was for a very occasional migraine headache.  So there ws no pyschological reason for my afib.  Also, all other heart tests were negative and  showed no physical reason for me to have Afib.

I had cryoablation surgery 3/2016. During the 3-month blanking period, I went in and out of a-fib several times. About two weeks before the blanking period ended, my pulse beat started to steadily climb until it hit 178 and my cardio doc hospitalized me (on the last day of the blanking period)  with a plan to do a cardioversion the next day.  The evening of my hospitalization and after three shots of digoxin,  my heart went back into proper rythym and I was released the next day.  I've stayed in rythym ever since with the exception of  two or three high pulses which disappear quite quickly.

I think my ablation may have lessened my afib but I don't think it was 100% successful.  Maybe it will be in time.

Right now I'm on Pradaxa and metoproporal and my resting pulse is too low -- 49-52....when I see the cardio doc on Wednesday, I'm going to suggest we reduce the latter drug to half again with the hopes of getting off it completely.  Unfortunately, I will have occasion when my pulse with go up to 165 and above but doesn't sty there long. -- can't seem to find the right place.  I have no symtoms for either low pulse or high pulse....

Hope some of this helps rather than confuses.  I think bottom line, everyone is different.  But most important, you must education yourself as much as you can on this disease and be proactive with yout doctor about your care.

• Posted

Oh rubbish - not pychological at all! Very much physiological! That said stress can cause onset but there are many other triggers.

You may not need anticoagulants depending on how often your attacks are...but if they are frequent then ACs are required to prevent stroke.

What country are you in Mostafa?

As I 've typed one already this morning flecainide may be the answer to making your life more comfortable. 

Is catheter ablation offered where you are do you know?

• Posted

I didn't have PAF until I started BP medication, Ramipril at first. I found out after some time that my PAF episodes would start within a few hours of the med. often as I was taking my morning stroll. I discussed this with my cardio doctor who said it was unlikely that there was a link but I insisted on a change. I was prescribed Candesartan and the  episodes increased. I then took the med six hours later than I would normally and found that the episodes were delayed by about 6 hours. Back to my GP, who I suspect just to keep me quiet prescribed Bisoprol.

I still have episodes but far fewer than with Ramipril or Candesartan.

This side-effect is well known as all the BP meds. I've taken come with a warning that they can cause palpitations, with typical understatement.

• Posted

When you read the side effects they cause more than they cure!
  • Posted

Hi mostafa,

You should seek a professional second opinion.

Visit a different cardiologist.

Regards,

• Posted

I was diagnosed with AF two years ago. There was no physical cause, or to be more specific there was no heart anomaly involved. Like in your case, it was psychological, caused mainly by stress, fatigue and dissapointments in my life. My doctor prescribed bisoprolol. I realized that bisoprolol did address the symptoms only and did not address the cause of the AF. I tried to avoid stress and to rest more. I found out that serotonin and melatonin were involved in relaxation and in a good sleep. I also found out that the amino acid tryptophan was the precursor of both serotonin and melatonin. I started taking tryptophan supplements and my problem was gone. I rested more and AF was gone. I mentioned my experience several times in this forum. Nobody seems to be interested in simple treatments. Everybody is eager to find other drugs which might work better than the ones they already take. On top of everything, doctors treat symptoms only and do not care much about the cause. I suggest you make an appointment with a naturopathic physician. You will not be disappointed.
    • Posted

Melatonin did not help me to sleep when I tried it for a month. It is not supposed to be for long term use and should be limited to two months although the prescription I got was for a hundred capsules.
    • Posted

I did not take melatonin. I took tryptophan which is the precursor of melatonin and serotonin.  Normally, tryptophan comes from protein sources.  Melatonin is constantly produced in the body. Serotonin is also constantly produced in the body and it has a beneficial action on mood and stress.
    • Posted

Everyone over the age of 50 should be taking 3mg of melatonin at night. Your body signicantly produces less as you age. And it was actually prescribed?! I purchase mine through an online vitamin shop. I think it's $4.95 for 60 tablets. Try taking what you have left about 30 mins before you go to bed and see what happens in the end.

• Posted

It can be bought over the counter in Europe the US and Canada but in the UK is by prescription only where as I said it is only prescribed for up to two months. There is evidently a medical reason for that apart from the fact of its interactions with a vast range of other medications that most over 55’s will be on. 

It is not produced in the UK and has to be imported from Denmark or the US.

• Posted

Hi nick, I found your post really interesting and am really keen to take supplements but worry if they clash with my other meds.  What country are you in Nick?  Great to hear you've conquered this devil.  All the best. 

• Posted

Hi nick, great to read your interesting post.  Want to take supplements but worried if they clash with my meds.  Are you in u.k.?   All the best. 
    • Posted

Interactions can be checked online or you can ask your doctor if your medication interacts with the supplement you want to take. I live in Canada. All the best to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.