Is blood always a flare ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so afraid that I may have a flare even though I am not in a lot of pain the other night I had some lower back pain/cramping but I had walked up and down the ramp on our porch for exercise quite a bit. I just went to bathroom and when wipe from bowel there was some blood on toilet paper scared me silly a few days ago I was pretty constipated but no blood then, but today was some on toilet paper didn't seen any in toilet , has anyone had blood on toilet paper in between flares or have you had it without taking antibiotics right away? I have Clarithromycin but don't want to start it unless I have too. Do you all take antibiotic every-time you see blood and with every flare those of you thats been medically diagnosed with diverticulitis . Please someone reply i'm feeling very scared an anxious . I been having only cream of wheat for super and boiled egg with plain yogurt and raw honey and OJ for breakfast and Chicken vegetable soup for dinner and in between Veggie juice and 1 cheese stick. I use olive oil and don't eat pork or red meat or fried foods or beens unless I puree them. I eat the same old stuff. I hope some people can answer the questions I have ask. Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You need to call your doctor. I only had blood a couple of times after being sick really constipated and wound up with diverticulitis and diverticulosis. What I’ve been told is not to fool around if there’s a question go to ER and get a CT scan and tell THEM your issues. Blood is never good. After an abscess drained I had a mild attack three weeks later and wound up in the hospital for six days because I was constipated for 3 to 4 days I’m not really that bad but no blood. Take care of yourself and don’t be afraid to act like you’re sick go to ER would be my recommendation and don’t be constipated. I’ve been told to take MiraLAX or Metamucil so you need to be on a program with a dietitian who knows what they’re talking about because it’s not the food That causes an attack but it’s the diverticuli get swollen and inflamed. Take care

• Posted

when you say constipated are you talking no bowel movement for a few days at all?

• Posted

When I had blood it was from being constipated for an hour until I had a blow When I had blood it was from being constipated for an hour until I had a bowel movement. When I was constipated With very little bowel movement and extreme constipation for 7 days , I suspect that the sigmoid abscess had perforated and the doctor still told me it was constipation and then I wound up in the hospital for emergency drainage. Three weeks later I had constipation no blood and didn’t know it was a serious problem I had a mild case of diverticulitis and is back in the hospital for six days so it’s nothing to fool around with from my experience anyways. Take care yourselfAnd get a check that would be my suggestion for what it’s worth.

• Posted

oh wow , was it much blood on in the toilet was you in constant pain ? I am on lock down , I live in the USA . I am on quarantine. I have one antibotic on hand I wonder if i should take it if it would help ! Anyone on here ever take them by accident anyone on here ever take Baixin for a flare?

• Edited

Where do you live? If the USA then the above advice holds good. If the UK you should speak to your GP - the hospitals won't want to know at this time but usually leave it to the GP anyway.

BUT you should know you can get pain if you have an inflammation without infection and no temperature, where medication is no use. You just have to follow a liquid only diet for a couple of days, then just a very bland diet. I used to panic with every twinge but 9 times out of 10, things settled in a couple of days.

However if you do have a temperature and cramps then you will have an infection and need medication. Sometimes a diverticulum just bursts and bleeds a little, which has happened to me several times, with no need for medication.

You should be taking a daily stool softener like Fybogel or Metamucil which makes the stools softer and easier to pass. That way you don't get constipated. Straining is the worst possible thing for Diverticular Disease.

When in doubt though, call a doctor. It took me a long time to learn the difference between the types of pains and when I needed medical intervention.

• Posted

Hi Carol. Certainly can understand and empathize with the anxiety you are experiencing. I have only had one flare, very mild, and currently on second round of abx. However, looking back, I did have squirts of blood intermittently in the toilet and some pink tinge to the TP. Since I did not know what was going on at the time, I sort of ignored it and it disappeared.However, now that I know what that was back then, I probably would start a clear liquid diet for 2-3 days to give the bowel rest. Bone broth, miso soup, etc, maybe protein drinks for protein, lots of water. Increase your probiotics--like for me, I empty a high quality capsule in 8 oz of water and down it before bedtime. Take Psyllium husk capsule before bed to make your BMs move right through if you need that kind of thing. Keeps things moving.

I am currently looking into holostic natureopathic remedies as I think the toxic antibiotics are....just toxic. I have found that oil of Oregano is a super antivirus, antibacterial, antibiotic in the plant world and is really helping my gut. There is a site that you can heal your gut naturally, gives lots of great advice. Will PM you on that.

• Posted

My research on the web md says : What are the risks of taking oregano and oregano oil?

Experts agree that oregano is safe when used for its intended purpose -- adding flavor to food. Oregano's safety for medicinal purposes is not known.

Due to some of its properties, a few things should be kept in mind when taking oregano or oregano oil in medicinal amounts.

In large doses, oregano oil may be toxic -- and even lethal.

Oregano may have diuretic effects.

Large amounts of oregano can upset the stomach.

Oregano oil may cause rash when applied to the skin.

People should also avoid oregano if they have allergies to certain herbs such as:

Basil

Lavender

Hyssop

Marjoram

Mint

Sage

Thyme

There are many claims about the uses of oregano oil. But there is little evidence to suggest that it is effective for any condition.

For example, oregano oil is often marketed for the treatment of intestinal parasites and the symptoms that go with it, such as:

Bloating

Cramping

Constipation

Diarrhea

Fatigue

A single study found that taking 200 milligrams of oregano oil three times a day for six weeks eliminated three such parasites. But the study was small, inconclusive, and was funded by a supplement manufacturer.

Some laboratory studies show that oregano or its components have properties that can kill some food-borne germs. But there is no evidence that it helps prevent food poisoning.

• Posted

are you on antibiotics now not sure Barbara what that abbreviation meant? How do you take the oil of Oregano is that by mouth? Thanks

• Edited

Yes, sorry, second round of Augmentin antibiotic. As with anything, too much is not good. I only took the oil of oregano for 10-14 day, only the recommended dose. You can take the Oil of Oregano by drops mixed with water, or easy tablets. I have an issue with mainstream doctors prescribing things proton pump inhibitors when in the long run it causes mal absorption of vitamins and minerals, unbalanced gut flora which really needs to be addressed when taking antibiotics or acid blockers. I am convinced that my gut issues started with food intolerances to irritate my gut and then when haywire with PPIs, and then badly managed gut flora. I am trying desparately to repopulate with good bacteria (probiotics) so I never have this problem going forward again. Trial and error, and life goes on.

• Posted

I would be careful with the veggie juice and orange juice but get checked out for an infection just in case. Get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.