Is blood in the urine with cystitis a common symptom?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had urinary infections over many years and they have always cleared with antibiotics.  One symptom which always occurs is blood in my urine.  I also have two kidney stones, but, thankfully, I have had no problems with them, as yet.

My urologist is concerned about the bleeding I get with the infections, although I have no blood in my urine when I don't have an infection.   A cystoscopy I had eighteen months ago showed that my bladder was clear.

Do others have blood in the urine as a regular symptom of cystitis?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I do every time I get a urinary infection, and so does my mother. It can be enough to turn the urine a pale red too so I wouldn't panic much, especially as it only happens when you get an infection. xxx
  • Posted

l think it is fairly common, infections cause inflammation and if that becomes severe it can cause the skin to bleed a little, more so if anti bs are slow being prescribed to get on top of it early. So yes it happens to quite a lof with cystitus, 
  • Posted

I certainly do and there has never been a cause found so dont worry about it,...its essential to get antibiotics as soon as you get that twinge though.
  • Posted

Thank you very much for your replies, it has eased my mind.  I can logically say that I don't have blood in my urine normally, so everything is fine, but there's still that little niggle of uncertaintly, isn't there?   With an infection, my urine can turn dark red at times - quite alarming -  but, within hours of taking the antibiotics, it begins to clear.  I also have a urine test after an infection and this has always been clear.

I only found out today that I've now got two kidney stones, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any problems with these either.  However, they are being monitored, so that is good.

Thanks again for your help.  

• Posted

Hi, I too have suffered badly with cystitis and each time I have passed blood. So much at times it has looked like a period and I have been thrown into panic. I had a cystoscopy about three months ago and no problem was found apart from the narrowing of my urethra so don't worry it seems to be a common problem.
    • Posted

Hi Kerry, l also had a cystoscopy, flexible, about 2month ago, mine due to intersticial cystitus, with rare bout of bacterial, and they found my urethra was narrow, they debated about doing dilation, or using cystiat,  but as l can pass urine with a good flow, decided best to leave alone for now, see how it goes.  Problems with the plumbing dept, but mines fairly settled at present, so grateful for it. 
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, I have been waiting for an appointment to have a cystoscopy under anaesthetic so they can decide how to proceed with the narrowing but to be honest since the last procedure I have had no problems (touch wood) so I too think it's best left alone. I am going to speak to my Doc to see if they can perhaps put things on hold. Glad things are going well for you, it certainly makes a difference to your life doesn't it!!
    • Posted

Hi l think they call it dilating to widen urethra, which if its essential ok, but l,m too wary now of invasion of my body unless essential, l wrote to urologist explaining my reasons, and he did write back and was understanding, and adding to get in touch if problems arise, but theres no doubt about that. When problems settle it does make so much difference to your life quality and ability to do more, not perfect still get niggles, but can function better and state of mind improved, glad it has for you, hope it carries on being settled. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.