is carrying too much weight causing ankle tendon pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

in the last 4 month I have gained about 18 pounds in weight and in that time I have developed very painful ankles, (tendons) it first started in the left ankle and after about 3 month then started in the right one. I have just got back from a  weeks holiday in Amsterdam and after one day of walking the pain was that bad I had to hire an electric buggy to get around. Is it possible that the extra weight I have gained has caused the problem, I do have thin legs and even skinnier ankles, I'm male and aged 76, I do realise I'll have to lose weight but how I don't know.  Thank you . James Dixon.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What did your Doctor sugguest you do James? i would take his advice on that. Regarding your weight, i gained alot during my time in a cast after my achillies surgery. I began eating Salads, Pasta and chicken for a good few weeks. lost alot of weight.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply, I have started doing special ankle and calf exercises and have also started to cut down on food and drink (especially wine) and already after doing the exercises my ankles seem to be a lot loser and not as painful.  James
  • Posted

I managed not to gain weight during the immobilisation, but it has crept up over the last 6 months where I've been trying to get get back to strength again. Afraid I'm a cyclical dieter anyway :-(

• Posted

thanks for your reply, how long was it before your ankles started to go back to normal, can you now walk without pain?,  James
    • Posted

I've been lucky in that I've never had any pain round either the tendon or ankle; the problem is the calf muscle pulling on the tendon which gives you the push when you step forward doesnt have the strength any more. It popped  last September, I was back on my feet in January. Still can't do a toe stand on the bad foot, though it is getting there slowly. Still have a bit of numbness in the pad of the heel too, but thats no problem. Calf muscle is still (10 months) visibly thinner, but I can just manage 6 miles of pretty rough walking though I wouldnt say its back to normal yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.