Is CFS a disability?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am currently applying for jobs, but I am unsure answer yes or no to the do you have a disabilty? question. I do have CFS, which does impact my life, although I am able to work. What do you think?

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi skm13

I would declare it as the Equality act 2010 would cover you as a disclosed condition.

If you were to go sick with ME/CFS while working for this company you would have greater protection under the act/ failing to disclose then having to claim against the company for whatever reason I think you would come unstuck, as they would see from requested medical notes (HR can do that) that you had hidden info regarding your medical condition when applying for work?

• Posted

I have just been awarded PIP goverment level of 'Higher' disability in both the home and the mobility sections.  I was awarded them due to my personal abilities due to the affect CFS and Fibromyalgia have on me not because I have them.  With that in mind I would onle list if it is likely to have an affect on you carrying out the job your are applying for.  If it could in the forseeable future affect your duties listed for that job you could be considered of with-holding information with you knew at the time of the interview.

Therefore it's all down to whether it is likely to affect you doing the job.  You could chose to list it but explain that you could not foresee it affect you doing the job.  Then you would be covered if it affected you in a few years time, should you go through a relapse?

Good luck in the job hunt x

• Posted

Hi,

If you have a condition of any description which effects you in your daily activities and last over 12 months, this is a disability which is covered by the Equality Act 2010.  If you do not tell your employer or future employers about your condition, then if you are off sick frequently due to this condition and reasonable adjustments have not been put in place for you because the employer did not know, then legally you are not in a good position.  I would strongly recommend anyone with CFS/ME to inform their employers or future employers.  Action for M.E. is a very good website where you can find out what employers responsibilities are, and advice for you.

All the best

Tinax

• Posted

Well put Tina that is my thinking as well.

After an interview a few years, back I got a job with a company after telling them on the application form and in the interview I had ME/CFS, I was offered work but I was subject to an occupational health interview and detailed report, which I thought fair enough… I passed so they employed me... about a year later my control of the ME went... However, the employer had to make reasonable adjustments for me when I returned to work, as they employed me knowing I suffered from ME. Otherwise, I think I would have been finished there.

So I would say any decent employer will make adjustments for a person with ME and any employer who doesn’t employ you, because of your medical history of ME/CFS is perhaps not the best employer for you to be working for?

The one thing I do know most people with ME/CFS will have good periods and bad periods of health and mobility, so why wouldn’t you cover yourself so the employer has to help you keep on working?

• Posted

Hi, exactly it is best to cover yourself.  If you think you have not been offered the job because of your disability you still have rights and this can be taken up with ACAS even though you only were pre interview or interview stage.  It is extremely difficult with CFS/ME and I believe an awful lot of employers need to be educated about the condition.

Best wishes

Tx

• Posted

Tricky, Credable companies will have procedures for emloying people with disabilities and are more likely to consider you sypathetically depending on their requirements. Sadly, lesser companies will no doubt see a disability as a potential problem especially if they are a small company.

I think honesty is probably best as any mistruth may be difficult to explain later down the line?

• Posted

Disabled literally means not able are as able to do everyday physical or mental activities. I was told I was disabled by an endocrinologist I used to see. Due to all my ME and fibro problems I am moderately to severely affected.

Only you know how your health issues affect your daily living. If you are able to work I assume you are mildly affected by CFS. But you may have some limitations too and it would be best to be honest and say so in an interview. Then if you find you are not fully up to the job on a daily basis , due to the variability of symptoms your CFS , they will know what to expect. If that makes sense. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.