Is Chlorella a good source of Vitamin B12?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been vegan for 3.5 years and have pretty much avoided B12 supplementation. Nutritional yeast and chlorella are pretty much my only two sources. I had bloodwork done recently and my total Serum Vitamin B12 levels were 294 ng/l.  (Normal ranges being: 200-900ng/l) - So, it’s within the normal range, but being at the lower end made me consider supplementing? Anyone think it’s a worthwhile move? 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi justkel,

Plant-based foods contain Vitamin B12 at varying amounts (i.e algae, seaweed, etc.). For instance, some Chlorella contain no Vitamin B12 or, in other cases, the Chlorella needs to be consumed in large amounts to meet recommended dietary allowances.

Vegan foods fortified with Vitamin B12 or vegan supplements containing Vitamin B12 are good sources of Vitamin B12. Nonetheless, if your doctor feels that the Chlorella you are taking contains enough Vitamin B12 (the Vitamin B12 content should be on the label), keep taking it.

• Posted

Beng Vegan does put you  at risk of becoming B12 deficient over time without supplementation. We have a "few years" store of B12 in our liver and this is normally "topped up" from eating animal products and whilst the daily requirement is small you need to make sure that you are getting enough from your diet/supplement..

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.