Is Chloropromazine 100 mg for sleep safe? Do they have very bad side effect

Posted , 2 users are following.

Is Chloropromazine 100 mg for sleep safe? Do they have very bad side effect. It was prescribed to me by my Psychiatrist, he says it's perfectly safe. But my research on the internet says the exact opposite.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well, you're going to need to look at your priorities. It's up to you really.

On the one hand, I wouldn't see chlorpromazine as an ideal drug for sleep problems. It can have a few side-effects, including dry mouth and weight gain. There's also a small danger that if taken long-term it can cause Parkinson-like symptoms, which may not be reversible even after stopping the drug. However, I'd stress that this risk is very small, and 100mg per day isn't a huge dose.

On the other hand, if your sleep anxiety is so severe that a psychiatrist finds it necessary to prescribe a relatively powerful antipsychotic drug which is more commonly used for schizophrenia, I don't think you have much choice. You either need to take the medication and put up with the possible side-effects, or bite the bullet and address the causes of your anxiety yourself. All this is on the assumption it actually works for you, of course. I note that the one thing you don't mention in your post is whether or not it helps you to sleep.

The one thing I would stress is that it's not a good idea to stop taking chlorpromazine suddenly, or to stop and start it or vary the dose from day to day. If you do decide to stop it, this should preferably be done via a taper, and under medical supervision.

• Posted

Not sure why you feel you need to stop taking it if it works.

As someone who suffered severe insomnia for most of my working life I genuinely sympathise with your problem. However, I see you've been posting about sleeplessness on these boards for quite a long time now, so you clearly haven't found an alternative solution. In that case - and if you're not prepared to go the hard, sometimes painful, path of CBT - why not just continue taking it?

There's no magic bullet that will fix persistent insomnia. You either decide to live with it - which I did - or you take medication on a regular basis for the rest of your life. Both alternatives have their pros and cons. You just have to decide which one you prefer. In my experience, living with insomnia poses fewer long-term risks to physical health than trying to fix it with medication, but we all have our own views, and have to make our own decisions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.