Is 'chronic inflammation' the same as LS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After a biopsy, I was diagnosed with ‘chronic inflammation’ of the vulva.  My GP won’t commit as to whether it’s Lichen Sclerosus or not, but wants me to continue using Dermovate to keep things under control.  

I know that Lichen Sclerosus is a chronic inflammatory condition, but, if it is Lichen Sclerous, would the biopsy show something more than chronic inflammation?  Is LS immediately diagnosable from the biopsy specimen?  Rather confused and concerned at the moment, so I'd be grateful for any  thoughts.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had 3 biopsies, one site showed LS and the other two chronic inflammation. We took the view I had LS due to the severity in one site. 
  • Posted

Hi

I had the same diagnosis as you.  Although, I know it is LS as when not using the Dermovate I get the recognisable white patches.  I can't manage without it!  I am trying to cut it down.  The Dermovate can mask the diagnosis.  If the Dermovate is helping you continue with it, but remember only use a very small amount.  If you get white patches and/or sores, then it most likely is LS.  If your only symptom is inflammation and the Dermovate controls this, then obviously it would be advisable t use, but sparingly.

• Posted

Thank you, Samantha and Powerwoman.  I haven't had any white patches at all, but the inflammation - soreness and itching - was quite bad when I first went to the GP.  Yes, I make sure that I only use a very small amount of the cream, when I do use it.  I haven't used it for 6 weeks now - before and after the biopsy - but the itching and discomfort has returned, although not as severe as before.  No further inflammation, though, thank goodness.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah

If the itching and discomfort has returned, you should use the Dermovate as maintenance as I am sure your GP has asked you to do.

Don't let it get back to where it was before.  There is evidence to say that the use of Dermovate will reduce the risk of getting vulval cancer.  If used appropriately, it is safe.

• Posted

Thank you.  I'll start to use it again and see how I go.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

I think its best to use the maintenance dose. I use mine 2x a week (albeit the protropic alternative). I also use a borax sitz bath 3-4x a week, plus coconut or emu oil to moisturise. I think you have to keep on top of it or it will get on top of you!

• Posted

I had itching for several years before the white patches appeared and before the fusing started. You may be in early stages. Please go see a good dermatologist and don't be shy ...my daughter is a dermatologist and treats LS. She referred me to an OB/GYN AND a Dermatologist who work together to help me

• Posted

No my biopsy was non conclusive. Symptom and appearance are how my gynecologist was certain. Itching for many years was thought to be yeast infection for me. The inflammation and thickening of the skin along with tears and skin splitting has been the worst. The Prescribed Clobetasol keeps the skin of the vulva from these issues. I still have occasional itch come up but if I use maintenance Clobetasol twice or three times a week it is controlled. Most important is using a moisturizer. I was told LS makes vulva like a desert. Hope this info is helpful!
  • Posted

If the biopsy was specifically processed for LS you would know. The f October has to specifically test for it. LS is far far more than just inflammation. Please do some serious research on LS as untreated it can getc worse. Go see a dermatologist. Dermatologists treat LS too as LS affects the skin. LS can appear on any part of the body. Research...there are pictures...and look at your parts yourself. Read about the symptoms of LS and then ask your OB/GYN or Dermatologist for advice and tests. Good luck.
    • Posted

Ah, well that's the problem, Sybel, I don't know what my GP asked them to test for.  He wanted to reassure me that it wasn't cancer - I didn't think it was, but he thought I did think that - so I don't believe he actually asked for them to test for LS, possibly cancer.  I'm going to see how I go and will definitely go back and ask for a dermatological referral if I'm not happy.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi,

The pathologist doesn't only look for cancer. Any abnormal cells the pathologist will find they will attempt to classify.

As mentioned I also had chronic inflammation but also LS in another spot so they decided the inflammation for me was the start of the LS.

• Posted

Please don't wait. The longer you wait to start treatment the worse it can't get. LS causes irreversible scarring and fusing that most often makes sex impossible or so painful. Please go see an OB/GYN or a good Dermatologist. Look at the photos online. My sister and I both have this and it is believed LS may have genetic markers. If you have children you need to know if you have LS for their sake too. GO

• Posted

Hello Cheetah, I was diagnosed with LS by an older Obgyn who specializes in Vulva disorders. She had me on the Clobetasol twice daily until the symptoms abated which for me they never did. I found the thread on here called "an experiment with Borax" and I read the entire thread. I started using the Saturated solution 3\4 times daily, along with Sitz baths with a small of Borax in it. I am aso using a spray bottle after each bathroom visit with a few pinches of Borax to cleanse.

Within a few days all of my symptoms completely stopped, all the itching, biting, stinging, soreness was gone.i immediately told her what was going on and she told me she knew about Borax and also gave me permission to only use the Clobetasol when I had a flare-up.

It has been about 6 months now and I have remained symptom free. I also use Vit E once daily to prevent thinning along with either cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil to moisturize. Hope this helps and God bless you

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with LSU a month ago after he took a biopsy. For the year before I was itching. Got treated for yeast infection. That didn't help. Then he said Bacterial Vaginosis. Took the medicine and it came back a couple weeks later. Finally the biopsy showed LS. I'm on Clobetasol Propionate.05 cream twice a day now. Itching has stopped and not raw around bum and vagina. Last week I got red bumps on my legs. Was wondering if LS does that also?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.