Is citalopram still working?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’m new here,I have read many of the threads on this site( very helpful.) I have suffered from anxiety for many years not knowing what was wrong with me, until I couldnt take it anymore so seven years ago I finally went to my gp, he perscribed citaopram ( 10 mg) it made a huge difference in my life, with time I was feeling happy and enjoying life again with an occasional blip. Well fast forward to November 2017 I ran out and didnt get the prescription filled right away (5-10 days.) Long story short anxiety and intrusive thoughts came back with a vengence. I have been on a steady 10 mg dose since then. I have improved much but still struggle with anxiety and racing thoughts. Is this normal? I dont remember it taking this long before. However, that was seven years ago too. Lois Katecogs anyone thoughts?

I would really like to stick it out with the 10 mg if possible.

Thank you Bobby🙂

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes the mistake you made of not refilling your x.wasnt smart..so you restarting the medicine again is like starting all over again..and the second time around might take you longer..so I say is all within the norm what your going thru now...
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply lois. I needed some reassurance on my progress. Anxiety and negative thoughts can seem very powerful, and several months seemed to be quite awhile but like you said I’m starting over. I will continue to take the medicine every day and make sure I don’t run out.😊 Thanks again

• Posted

I am the same 2nd time around although i was really bad the first time it didnt take as long as it has this time . I am in my 9th week on 20mg from 10mg and still getting nauseus . I am feeling alot better in myself though .I think i would have still been ok on 10mg if i didnt have a reaction to antibiotics which caused the bad anxiety
    • Posted

Michelle...  Hang in there. We are all in this together and we will get better. Be strong. 

Thank you for your reply.🙂

• Posted

Hi Bobby so has all your anxiety gone now or are you left with a few blips??
    • Posted

Hi gilip. I woukd say my Anxiety comes and goes because I get thinking to much. I will have a good day or two then some not so good ones. So I’m guessing those are blips and part of recovery from wht I have read on here. I was getting a bit concerned that maybe the citalopram wasn't working  the second time around. However, I keep telling myself to be patient.   Thanks😊

• Posted

Yes agree with Lois - it takes longer second time around sad

Often when you come off meds or miss them, that old familiar feeling creeps back in and naturally you'll start to fear it which makes you more anxious, and then you slip back into the anxiety / fear / cycle again ...... and this is quickly followed with intrusive thoughts which is a side effect of anxiety.

Just give it longer wink

• Posted

Thanks for the reply katecogs. That’s what seems to be happening with me (very scary.) I didnt think missing a few days was such a big deal because I was feeling so well at the time. Boy was I wrong.😟  It does seem to be taking longer this time but if it takes longer the wait is worth it. 

Would you send me that link you so often talk about? 

Thank you😊

• Posted

Yes it can have an effect - the medication needs to be kept at a constant level and any changes in the dose can cause side effects, withdrawal symptoms or even anxiety returning.  Its different when you actually come off though as its done gradual over a long period of time.

I know, you don't think these meds would have such an effect and when you're feeling well you think it'll be fine.  It affects people in different ways too - I couldn't even miss 1 days of meds as I'd feel really nauseous and heady.

Yes it took me 6 months the first time on meds and about 8 months the second time, plus the second time around I had different side effects.

Yes I'll send you the link via messaging.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.