is citrolpram an expensive medication?? so confused right now!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi does anyone know is cit an expensive drug. Iv done plenty of research on this med .. I know a few people personally that take it.. yet my pdr says it's a very addictive drug so won't prescribe it ..I have severe depression suffered since a child & then diagnosed with bipolar 3years ago.. moods are stable but depression is far from better.. pls any information will be most grateful. . Thankyou x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, Wellbutrin or genetic Buprofin is not known to cause weight gain, sometimes it surpresses appetite. I have also never gained weight on Prozac. Both work quickly for depression. Everything else I have Ever been on has caused weight gain for me, and most others. the generic prozac is fluxotene and it is very reasonable. just my two cents worth...
    • Posted

Thanku ss 😊 am in the uk welbutrin isn't legal here ..I asked about this last year after looking so hard ..

I don't mind putting weight on if I can get it off again. Medication like quetiapine you can't due to slow matabilism. .after having an eating disorder for so many years it was hard enough to deal with the weight gain let alone going back into deep depression to. I was very grateful for the help of the tranee. Iv recently been on mirtazapine & venlafaxine same drug.. why I dnt know!! Far to many side effects ..so now I'm getting a new mood stablisor to go along with the 1 I'm. Already on. I have severe depression I sure hope it works ..I have a new appointment in 2 months to see how it's going.

• Posted

wellbutrin is not legal there?   oh my.......be very careful with the venlafaxine. just go SLOWLY!!!!!
    • Posted

No .. sounded like it would suit me too..😞

iv gone without ven 8 days now.. my head still the same not good . I really don't think they care for tapering here, pdr asked how I was feeling not taking it .. wish I hadn't got in the system.. 😢

• Posted

seriously, open up the capsule and count out the beads. you cannot cold turkey that med. if you have made it 8 days, you might put in half of the beads of a 37.5 and take that for a week. then, do the same the next week. i got protracted withdrawal and my hands and feet tingled and went numb for months after i quit. brain zaps. you can do it, but please go SLOW

• Posted

Yer I'm getting brain zapps.. I dnt believe it's getting any better either ..phyciatrists wasn't interested about how I'm feeling without it. I take the tablet form 225mg tried to stop for 2days then went to 75mg for 5 days. . Then told to stop.. I'm gona cut the 75mg pill into 4 I think .. I was beginning to think it's not gona go away on its own.. how another mood stablisor would help it obviously not.. big thanku for your help x

• Posted

It's olanzapine iv been prescribed no better than quetiapine 😢 I'm so gutted.. after speaking so much about the weight problem with quetiapine. . I told him . I know every pill comes with weight gain but alot you can shift the weight shortly after I can deal with that.. I was anorexic took me years to eat normal again.. Iv read up on this drug it's awful it's not just about the eating..it changes your whole body. Men grow boobs!! It's that bad. I'm not taking it. No way 😢

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I think the GP's are getting confused, A month of citrolpram costs between 95p-£1.06 for a Months Supply, where as escitalopram is around £25-£26 for a Month (these are what the NHS pays). I think it's more of a case that they want to keep the numbers down because is dosen't look good on their figures at the end of the Year. The Government would see it as a failing if a large number of people in one area are taking the Drug. I know this is wrong, but you can tell by the ammount of people just on this forum, how many are talking about citrolpram. A Surgery dosen' look to good when asked how are the Patients doing? Oh their all great, everyones taking citrolpram. It's propper rubbish, but it seems like first come, first serve.

Al x

• Posted

Hi Al hope your doing ok. I'm not good at all with all this, I don't understand how giving me a new drug but another mood stablisor is gona lift this severe depression. ??? Iv been a hermit since March , Sunk so low ..4 solid weeks of manic & cnt leave the house means 👊👊 empty bank account & very overdrawn. I'm starting to come out of it now. So tired ..got alsorts of badges on here babbling on 😴😴😴😂 shows how long it's lasted this time, Iv got an appointment again in 2 months. Wouldn't mind iv gone cold turkey from ven because a diff pdr said I would be starting it too. 😯

• Posted

Hi Sharon, Sounds like your having a really shlt time, try not to worry about your Money situation to much, it's only going to make you feel worse. It may be worth your while calling your Bank and explaining your situation, that usually get's them to put a halt on OD charges, then you can feel more able to tackle other issues. Do you just have your GP or are you with a Mental Health Clinic? With a session lasting four months, kudos to you sticking it out, but you need to be trialled on a different med, I'm not sure why they seem to be neglecting this issue. With regards to your weight, it's not a priority during an episode, but if its bothering you then may be see what services you have round your area. I'm trying whyweight in September, been prommised it's nothing like weight watchers.... Gives me a bit more structure, and may meet some good people (we are supposed to be jolly). If your house bound for 4months, weight gain is a given, so don't be so hard on yourself. List chores and jobs that you want to acomplish, I find looking at them on paper makes it not look so daunting and you feel a little better when you cross them out. When is your next appointment? Al x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.