Is Diverticulitis manageable

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is there anyone on here that has had diverticulitis and lived a manageable life? Has anyone on here had it for 10 to 15 years without surgery ? Please reply having anxiety attacks over this .

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I've lived with it pain free for six years running. My success is from psyllium husk, diet, exercise, and low stress life style. The two big items that I do not eat a lot of anymore is greasy foods and red meat.

• Posted

How much psyllium husk a day do you take ? What kind of excerise is safe ? Do you drink things with caffeine or eat chocolate ? Please let me know thanks
    • Edited

Crosado I eat a regular diet and stay away from greasy foods and very little red meat. With the introduction of psyllium 2 per day doses once in morning and once at night I no longer have stomach issues including mild diarrhea. The husk bulks up my stools and pushes it all out keeping my bowels clean so that diverticulitis does not start.

I pretty much eat and drink what I want and any issues with diverticulitis has gone away thanks to the psyllium husk aka Metamucil. Hope that helps you.

• Posted

how do u get low stress how do I work on that? 52331 do u drink a lot of water? 
  • Posted

started about 2 years ago I was having panic attacks thinking it was something bad,

went to a&e twice thought I was having a heart attack , but it was anxiety, doctor put me on propranolol and the anxiety has stopped, I has a colonoscopy which was awful 😖 never again, I started taking probiotics and they have helped a lot , it never goes away until you have surgery so I've been told but I'm not in any rush for that I feel for you im going through too

• Posted

I was diagnosed with diverticular disease 9 years ago following a colonoscopy performed because of severe lower left abdomen pain. I've since had 2 follow-up colonoscopies which show a number of diverticulae. over the past year the attacks have become more frequent and the only way that i can control the pain is by the use of a hot electric blanket or in severe cases, by the use of Cipro. the Fodmap diet hasn't helped and neither has any probiotic. i have noticed that as i get older, I'm a fit 77 year old male, the symptoms become worse. is anybody else in the same situation and if they are, have they found a solution?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.