Is diverticulosis curable??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am suffering from diverticulosis since 1 year and the main problem is that I can't plan to go anywhere in the morning as I have to visit toilet multiple times and even after visiting multiple times, I never feel that my tummy is ok.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi! This is me now too. I had my second severe flair 3 months ago and haven't had a good morning since.  Can't head to work until 10am usually even after waking up early.  Had a colonoscopy yesterday and it is healing, and doc said "mild" at this time.  I record EVERYTHING I eat and I still cannot eat any raw vegetables or fruits without several days of pain and inflammation.  This is no way to live, for sure.  And there is always the chance for a true infected flare with fever, risk of perforation etc, in which case, always being at the ready with antibiotics.  Missing work, events, travel... can't do it!!!  I have decided to have surgery to remove that portion of my sigmoid colon. Doc said it is up to me, she would remove about 12".  Both she and my GP said that after that heals, I will be able to eat a normal healthy diet.  What a wicked condition!  A few people told me that it is an auto-immune condition. I find that interesting. Both my older daughter and I have very sensitive tummys, we cannot eat wheat or diary without serious issues/inflammation.  I have other auto-immune diseases as well.  Makes me so mad sometimes, I have lead a very healthy active life.  I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am following this discussion and hope you find relief!

• Posted

Actually my condition is nothing in front of yours as you suffering from diverticulitis and I am suffering from diverticulosis. I hope that your surgery will be successful and you will be fit and fine. Thank you for your support. I am waking up at 4:00 a.m. since 1 week but then also I cannot go anywhere till 10-11 a.m.
    • Posted

I am sorry to read of your severe condition.  As you mentioned your GP you must be UK and I know surgery is never considered unless the condition is really bad.  I was interested in your comment about auto immune disease.  I was told a number of years ago my immune did not work as well as it should - I have always had multiple infections which take ages to heal.  I too cannot take gluten or full fat.  Latest research also suggests genetics plays a part, so it is not always diet.  Good luck with the surgery.
    • Posted

I too am recovering from diverticulitis that started inDec2017. This was 2nd bout of protracted illness. I saw the surgeon yesterday and did recommend surgery. I plan on having it soon as I can’t live with the way I feel! I am also afraid of ending up with a perforation!

• Posted

Hello I have diverticulitis, IBS, a hiatal hernia, Barretts esophagus, and severe acid reflux. I've had a lot of blood work done recently and I have high inflammation markers and tested positive for ANA. My doc is sending me to a rheumatologist and I'm worried. My body chest, arms, legs, hips,ribs hurt all the time. Do you have any of these issues??

• Posted

You poor thing! Yes, I do have those issues sometimes. I keep a food diary and my number one inflammation trigger is wheat, and then after that dairy, then sugar.  I too have wacky blood work at times, always have elevated CRP, indicating inflammation. I have a few auto-immune issues.  If anything gets "off" (low B12, low D, not enough water, eating wheat, etc) I get inflammation and aches. My hands and feet seem to suffer the most.  I also have Gilbert's Syndrome which is supposed to be a benign liver issue, I lack a certain enzyme that breaks down the bilirubin in my blood.  Any stress or illness will make it much worse and I appear jaundice. My brother has it too.  Sometimes it is bad for no reason, and it makes me soooooo tired.  Funny thing is, I rarely get the common cold, it's always something weird!  I have been tested for Lyme (negative)  which is RAMPANT on the US East Coast. I do not know where you are located, but I have many, many friends who suffer the effects of Lyme, some far worse than others.  I do have markers for Epstein Barr, which I think most people have, but not everyone's body deals the same.  I really believe proper diet, adequate hydration, fitness, and sunlight are vital to health.  Sounds simple, but it's a stressful world and hard to balance that stuff.  Don't give up, I hope you find the things that bring you good health.

• Posted

You should be probably taking a mild anti spasmodic medication before you eat. I take Bentyl. The generic brand name is dyclomine.

Ask your doctor. It is prescription.  👍

• Posted

Hi

I am afraid Diverticulosis is not curable.  It means you have pockets in your colon and like your appendix, they will be with you for life.  However it is manageable.  How were you diagnosed?  Are you on medication?  Do you have any other medical conditions like IBS?  If you are still having multiple bowel movements every morning a year after diagnosis, I think you need to see your doctor. Tell them everything that is happening, just in case you have another undiagnosed underlying condition.  They may be able to prescribe something to reduce your bowel symptoms.  When you do go out you can take precautions like carrying spare underwear and wet wipes, plus know the location of the toilets en route.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi all. I’m newly diagnosed with diverticulosis. I was misdiagnosed with IBS which that alone has been hard. Scary thing, I’m 33 yrs of age sad 

Just looking on advice on what I can eat. Please help

• Posted

Hi Angela,

At the first sign of pain start liquids only for 3 days. Then go to soft for 2 weeks. Toast, eggs, yogurt,  gradually add in fiber to see what works for you. A food diary is helpful! Good luck

• Posted

I advised to ignore spicy food. Also, I am advised to eat fresh food i.em as soon as you cook food you should eat it. Try to eat more green vegetables and fruits. Eat four times a day but keep your tummy a bit empty whenever you eat because your stomach cannot digest a lot of food together. Drink a glass or two of hot water in morning. Some vegetables or fruits will not suit your body so if you eat some vegetables or fruits and you face problem the next day, try not to eat those vegetables or fruits. Take care.
    • Posted

I am advised to ignore spicy food. Also, I am advised to eat fresh food i.e. as soon as you cook food you should eat it. Try to eat more green vegetables and fruits. Eat four times a day but keep your tummy a bit empty whenever you eat because your stomach cannot digest a lot of food together. Drink a glass or two of hot water in morning. Some vegetables or fruits will not suit your body so if you eat some vegetables or fruits and you face problem the next day, try not to eat those vegetables or fruits. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.