Is driving a manual car the problem? 15 weeks post op

Posted , 8 users are following.

I seemed to be doing well when I was not driving and when on holiday I hired an automatic but since returning and starting to drive my own car at 12 weeks post op I have not made any progress, in fact soem days i have gone backwards. I am thinking about hiring an automatic for 2 weeks to test my theory that it is driving that is causing my knee to stiffen and be uncomfortable as it is the only thing I am doing differently from before when I was almost normal. Now I am limping again and have the tight band back above the knee which had gone! Any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I'm not sure whether driving is causing your issues. All I can say is that I'm at 12 weeks too and I've had pains return that I haven't had for a while. I do differ from you, in that I've never had really good times yet as I may need further surgery to straighten the leg. I have driven several times and it didn't make me worse but I was driving prior to the surgery with a leg that only had 20-30 degrees of overall movement, so it has improved since then.

What I'm trying to say in a sleep deprived & heavily medicated way is that this seems to be the worst roller coaster ride ever. I have went backwards this week, pain and movement have gotten worse so I've had to increase my medication again. I am certain it must just be a brief slump so I'm trying to carry on with my exercises (I still follow a detailed physio program due to poor extension and bend).

If you have been driving a lot, it may of had an impact due to the muscles used. If not, you may of just hit a brick wall like me. Don't get disheartened, it will improve again.

• Posted

Hi Caroline is it because ur sitting too long whrn driving???? I get the stiffness most when ive been sat??? also yest I went for a test drive at 10 weeks post op and after it was my ankle that hurt most with operating the clutch as my op is on my left knee???Also my brain hurt as id forgotten how to use the automatic hand brake system lol.
  • Posted

Not sure caroline. I have had bad osteoarthritis for many years, so when I learnt to drive I learnt on an automatic, never driven anything else. When this became difficult I went onto hand controls. Now I do not drive

at all.

I had TKR 3 years ago. If you drive automatic you still have to be bending your knee sufficiently to sit in car and operate brake and accelerator.

Not sure that I could have done that at 12 weeks, but it will be easier than an ordinary car.

Has your GP or consultant said you can drive now? Make sure you check this out with insurance and DVLA.

Happy motoring

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I take it that it is your left knee and you think it's pushing in the clutch that's the problem? My doctor said I could drive after 6 weeks and I did, but mine was a right knee TKR and so my clutch leg was OK. I can see that pushing and holding the clutch in traffic might be a bit hard on your knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.