Is exercise-induced asthma a possibility with these symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there.

I have been running for approximately 4 years, (I detest it but am determined to keep relatively fit). Being a 24 year old man, standing at 6 foot 1, I have always been confused at why I can never seem to run properly, and have so many issues with it, so, I bought a peak flow metre.

My reading was 650, which is about the averge, if not slightly better, for someone of my gender, age and height.

I decided to take the peak flow with me on a few runs, and a few sprint sessions too, and noticed my peak flow during exercise would vary from 350 to 500, averaging at about 425. I did these tests 6 times over a ten day period.

Looking online for symptoms, I noticed coughing is a problem people with this type of asthma experience. I experience this too, though not everytime. I also often find that 10 minutes after finishing exercise I will find myself short of breath for a couple of minutes, despite feeling fine 5 minutes beforehand. I often feel, when running, that I cannot quite fill my lungs out as much as I want. I always feel like I am breathing at about 80% capacity.

I know I must go to a doctor to get an official diagnosis, but I was just wondering beforehand if anyone with knowledge on the subject could give their opinion on my case? Does exercise induced asthma look like a possiblity here? 

I think I will actually be content if this is the case, as it will put an explanation to why I struggle so much, despite beinf 24, eating healthy, running 5 days a week and being slim/toned. Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you should start with your doctor and find out if in fact you have asthma have you had symptoms before or it just recently? You need to see your doc to make sure there's nothing else going on.

• Posted

Hello if you are wondering about this I would discuss this with your doctor but yes it sounds like it is asthma related. You have better peak flow readings then I do. And I would love to be able to run but I am not able to so enjoy it while you can. And you don't always have to have a cough with asthma. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.