Is Femoral Neuropathy is curable ??????

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering Femoral Neuropathy in my both legs from  June 28 ,2016 because of medicine overdose.

I am going through Physiotherapy and medicine from Neurologist , I can walk little bit now but still my quadriceps muscles are very weak.

Want to know is anyone here who is recovered  100% from Femoral Neuropathy and get back normal life ? Is Femoral Neuropathy is curable? I am very frustrated  …How long does it takes to recovered ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi r7777.

Do you know the cause of your neuropathy? That seems to be the biggest indicator in how much progress you can make. It's good you're getting care fo it.

The answer to your question is "yes" but there's a lot more to the story. Some neuropathies can only be slowed, while some can be reversed, and a few can be cured. Generally, it seems that if the cause of your neuropathy can be treated, while at the same time using physio or other strategies like electrical stimulation, chances of recovery are improved. But manage your expectations, and be as patient as you can. Neuropathy is a tough battle for most. Hope in coming advances is promising.

• Posted

Hi drutter

Thanks. So far by this time like four months I get back most of the activities of legs and I can walk without any support but can not able to stand or walk for more than 10 to 15 minutes. Doctor and physiotherapist said that my quadriceps muscle are very weak that’s why .

There are numbness, stinging, and electrical shocks , swelling , pinching and pain in my both legs.

Things seems to be that my movement increased but symptoms remain all most same.   

Now the only goal to rebuild the strength of the quadriceps muscle.

How can I do that faster do you have any idea???  

• Posted

Hey r7777, it's good to hear that you are able to stand and walk. Improvement like that is usually an indication that you will make more recovery. Weakness is normal if you've been sitting or lying down most of the time since June 2016. I think that the physio will help you, and you can ask them for advice about improving your leg functions. Stretching every day (gently of course) is usually a good idea. If you can do some yoga moves, great. Some people with weak legs like to go in the shallow pool, to build strength slowly, without risk of falls. A diet with sufficient protein is important for recovery of the quadriceps and other large muscles. Healthy fats such as fish oils may help with nervous tissue repair. Proper vitamins, plenty of water, and magnesium are probably good ideas.

Nerves were once thought to be impossible to repair, but now we know that some nerves (like in the legs) can slowly regenerate under the right conditions. Some of the pain and other sensations in your legs may be a sign of regrowth, as the nerve fibers connect and the myelin around them is replaced. Try to be patient and stay as positive as you can. Don't train too quickly, get enough sleep, and look for gradual but steady gains over the weeks and months to come.

Sorry I don't have more info, but hopefully that helps a little!

• Posted

Recovery time is down to you and how much effort you put into it, It does not take long for the muscle to waste and it took me 6 weeks of intense physio 6 hours a day to get back to normal. The less you do the longer it will take sorry...
    • Posted

Hi steven12310

Thank you very much .I already pass 16 weeks but still not able to get back normal life though my mobility increased but my quadriceps muscle are very weak and my muscle still are wasting donot know why .I am very much worried about this thing.

My knee is still something feeling like jam but I can extend my knees also up down but my symptoms are not decreasing.

I am doing physio like 3 hours per day ,my muscle get tired very soon .

How can I stop wasting muscle ???? 

• Posted

well its seems you are doing all the right things except being patient, it takes a very long time to rebuild muscle strength but having said that it is impossible to know what damage was caused by the medical overdose. Certainly I think a trip to the neurologist is worth getting to find out if any damage done to the nerves other that my friend I can only offer sympathy which doesnt help I know
    • Posted

Hi steven12310

Thanks for the reply . By this time I get back most of the activities of legs and I can walk without any support , can strengthen legs, can up leg but the only problem going through that my legs are very weak specially my quadriceps muscles. My physiotherapist told me that my quadriceps muscle are started working and started regaining its strength but it will take some time.

Pray for me .

Thanks and regards.   

• Posted

Of course I will my friend, just take it slowly and they will get back to normal condition. Unlike myself whose muscles will slowly waste and nothing I can do about it and to top it off I broke my damn foot last week just to round off my luck... I must have been someone really nasty in a previous life.....lol

• Posted

Hi steven12310

Nice hear you from but also sad for your condition. Take care yourself

thanks

• Posted

Hi steven12310

How are you ? how is your health ? 

Did you fully recover from femoral neuropathy ?

I want to know something from you

Did  your quadriceps muscle get back to its normal form??

And what about your broken leg??

Take care  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.