is fibromyalgia linked to the menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

afternoon ladies .. iu just joined group after thinking i was the only person suffering all these different symptoms, that horrid feeling in the stomach when you know a flush is about to begin, the achs & pains that hae been on going for oer 2 yrs back and forth to the doctors to be put on gabapentin pregabalin naproxen amytriptilen (some spelt wrong) then injections cause it was this then that then the other and finally going to see a rhumatologyst who said i haue got fibromyalgia, i hae asked the question many times is it linked to the menopause and nobody can giue a proper ans .. i went on a 8 week cause for FM and all were woman of about 40 to 60 and all had the same symptoms as the menopause but been diagnosed with FM .. i am now taking nutrition FX that i found myself .. time will tell  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle 

I also saw a rheumatologist with my aches & pains, he diagnosed secondary fibromyalgia. I read on here that many women had the same symptoms and I felt sure mine was menopausel.  When I asked whether it could be related to the menopause, he said that at times of hormone changes, any underlying problems can be magnified.  It seemed to make sense.  But as there is no specific test to confirm fibromyalgia all we can do is manage the symptoms the best way we can.  I found regular Accupuncture has reduced my pains substantially, and intake pain killers less often.

What course were you attending and did it help?

Viv

• Posted

funny that your viv 1960 and im michelle 1960 got to be the year you were bornim sure like me ..

the rhumatologist i seen done a point system, but befor that iv been going the doctors for about 2 to 3 years having tried so many different tablets all with various side effects so now i dont take any except paracetamol and ibuprofen .. i done an 8 week course at our local hospital on FM and i found it really helped they went through everything from A to Z on the condition  and i met some lovely ladies its just nice to talk sometimes with people in the same boat, for a long long time i couldnt understand why i ach in so many places .. however the only thing i dont suffer with at all is depression

• Posted

Hi Michelle, yes 1960 is the year I was born.  I found these discussions started by Leslie a life saver. My aches and pains didn't start until early this year.  I tried many of the supplements discussed on this site, homeopathy, pain killers and acupuncture.   I saw the rheumatologist even though this site convinced me it was menopausal.  As I said previously he suggested sec
    • Posted

whoops pushed the wrong button.

the rheumatologist diagnosed secondary fibromyalgia.  The only other menopausal symptoms I experience are occasional warm glows, and brain fog, so compared to other lady's not too bad, although I didn't feel too good earlier in the year, but seem to have better control of my pains now. I had an intensive course of acupuncture weekly for 5 weeks, then monthly sessions.  The rheumatologist started me on Hydroxychloroquine, but these can take about 5 weeks to kick in, and my pains were easing before this time so I have put it down to the acupuncture.  I have stopped the homeopathy, and continue Maca root and magnessium with calcium. I no longer have the early morning stiffness and tightness around my joints.  I do get stiff in the evenings after sitting  for a while and walk like a 90 year old when I stand up. I also only get the sudden fatigue on rare occasions now.  I can't recommend acupuncture highly enough.

Viv

• Posted

HI LADIES ,IT SOUND LIKE EVERY THING SEEMS TO HAPPEN DURING AND AFTER MENOPAUSE, WHEN I GET UP IN THE MORNING EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY  ACHES, I AM  QUITE   ACTIVE , BUT I AM  TOLD TO KEEP MOVING , DURING THE DAY , I MIGHT FEEL FINE AND GO SHOPPING , THEN IT GRABES ME , FROM MY SHOULDERS DOWN TO  MY  ANCKLES ALL MY MUSCLES IN MY BODY    THIGHTEN UP  AND I CANT MOVE  , DOES THIS SOUND LIKE FIBROMYALGIA, 
    • Posted

hi marilyn .. problem is there is such a fine line between FM and the menopause you need to ask your doctor to refere you to a rhumatologist to be diagnosed .. but sometimes you may have to push for this to be done .. 
  • Posted

A friend with fibro went on the paelo diet and it has helped her immensely. In the book screaming to be heard there is an entire chapter on fibro and peri/meno.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.