Is flying bad for COPD sufferers?

Posted , 6 users are following.

We have to holiday in the winter as we own an hotel and usually go somewhere warm. The last couple of years my husband has ended up with a chest infection shortly after our return and that is not good news for a COPD sufferer! Do others think this is just coincidence or is it linked? We both need a break and UK at this time of year is just not the same!!

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,it could well be the drastic change in temperatures,and weather conditions ,or even the air conditioning ,

i am a copd sufferer ,,,and sadly I can no longer go abroad ( by air ) as even with continuous oxygen on board throughout the flight my oxygen levels drop far too low,

that's all I can offer as an explanation to you I'm afraid ,but it wish you and your hubby happy holidays ,and good health ,

• Posted

Mmm.. my hubby isn't too bad as far as oxygen levels are concerned. He is ok on the flight and mostly while we are away - just succumbs to something when he gets back.!
  • Posted

Hi. Wonder if it's the air con on the plane. If you're travelling in winter more people with colds maybe. I have COPD and don't like to fly anymore. What about a cruise round the carribean !!!!!! Lots of sunshine and sea air. X
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, we have thought of a cruise but for the warmer destinations in winter you have to fly to the departure port!! We live by the sea so just need the sunshine!!! Our GP seems happy enough for him to fly but I just don't want to take the risk of him being ill afterwards. Thank you for your comments, though! And also to Nanny 1086 - I forgot to add it to her post!
  • Posted

Hi Ros,

I too live with severe COPD, lung function of only 30% for 30 years. Flying never bothered me. For me sudden weather changes cause flare ups.

Every time I have gone to a sunny place on the ocean, even if I have an upper and lower respiratory infection when I arrive, my lungs clear up within 24 to 48 hours my breathing improves so much that I feel as though I had a lung transplant!

However, when I return home to the winter weather, it all goes back to the same bad.

Flying never hurt me. Not living on the ocean is what hurts me but I always feel financially unable to move to it. I asked my allergist why ocean salt water helps me so much and she said it is because the air that comes off the ocean contains no pollen. Allergens are picked up once it hits land.

For me there is a component of allergies that affects my lungs and if you have not done so, I highly recommend seeking out a good allergist on top of all that you already do to manage the condition.

Hope it all works out!

💛 Dawn, U.S.A.

• Posted

Thank you for your input! We are still debating what to do ...
  • Posted

I really am not sure if flying is bad for copd suffers but personally my brain seems to go into anticipating problems when I have planned to fly at all.    On the plane I feel as if I am shut in a cylinder with no air and seriously have to stop myself jumping up and demanding to be let out into the fresh air.  Is it because my oxygen levels are low or am I just pre thinking what might happen.   All in all it is pretty panic inducing so have decided to forgoe holidays abroad incase I bring the airport to a standstill lol.
  • Posted

Hi, my husband has had a chest infection the last 3 times that we have flown (only short flights to Spain) culminating in spending our last holiday (June 2014) in hospital in Spain with severe pneumonia and having to fly back with a doctor. They said it would take 3 to 6 months to recover and he hasn't, he has further lung damage. We will not be flying again. Such a shame as he adores the sun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.