Is Gaviscon Advance enough ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Diagnosed with grade a esophagusitus / Reflux. Been on PPIs for 6 months and told to taper down and come off PPI to manage only with Gaviscon Advance 3 times a day. Is Gaviscon Advance strong enough to be the only thing I take to keep my gerd from getting worse ?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stuart. I was also diagnosed with Grade a Eosphagitis. I'm taking 20 mg Rabeprazole for three months. Gaviscon just the coats the stomach. I was prescribed sucralfate similar to gaviscon and it is to be taken along with ppis. If the hole in the eosphaghus has closed, you can taper off the PPIs slowly, or else your symptoms will just keep coming back.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. How are you finding the rabeprazole ? Any side effects ?  How long have you been on them.
    • Posted

I took Esomeprazole for a month. Then stopped thinking I was cured but all symtoms kept coming back. I went to a different doctor who prescribed me 20 mg Rabeprazole, 25 levosulphride and sucralfate syrup three times a day. He also did my blood test and i was vitamin d and b12 deficient. He prescribed me supplements. Also I'm taking regular probiotics. Reflux is under control and side effects are minimal if any like minor sore throat sometimes. My main worry is how long I have to continue this medication. I just hope my oesophagus heals. What about you? Any side effects?

• Posted

Been taking this Rabeprazole for about 2 months. Right now I have irritating sinus infections, which all started after GERD happened.
    • Posted

Yeah lately every time I take a tablet after 30 minutes I get a spaced out feeling and light headed for a few hours. Weird. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.