Is GERD related to IBS symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking 60mg of Lanzoprazole a day for the last 1 and a half months. Yesterday i woke up with stomach pain and had an upset stomach. Today it is worse. My stomach is tender, i have a dull ache in the bottom of my stomach and all across my lower back, i have no appetite and still have an upset stomach. I am also burping.

I was wondering if the 2 are connected? Or is it the high dose of Lanzoprazole thats causing this? Has anyone else had anything similar?

The PPI's have got my reflux under control from what i was experiencing previously, however just when i think i get rid of one problem another one turns up! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

IBS is pain and inflammation in the bowels (intestine), is that what you are experiencing?

When I was taking dexilant (PPI), some foods would cause me stomach pain. Did you eat something unusual? Also when I stopped taking the dexilant, I had stomach pain in my stomach for a week.

It seems that many people have more gas when they have reflux problem, and gas can be painful in the whole digestive system. One of the approaches to treat GERD is to avoid foods that create gas.

• Posted

Hi Ines, I have diarrhoea and tender stomach as well as lower stomach pain. I cant think of anything I've eaten to cause it. I Googled if there was any connection and it said GERD can cause stomach and bowel issues. I might go back to the doctors next week if it hasn't cleared up by then.
  • Posted

I am not a doctor and I don't know much about this but maybe you have some bad bacteria. I read somewhere that with the lack of acid in the stomach bad bacteria can develop more easily. It is a good idea to get it checked if you don't get better.
  • Posted

Here is what I found:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is informing the public that the use of stomach acid drugs known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may be associated with an increased risk of Clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea (CDAD). A diagnosis of CDAD should be considered for patients taking PPIs who develop diarrhea that does not improve.

Patients should immediately contact their healthcare professional and seek care if they take PPIs and develop diarrhea that does not improve.

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium that can cause diarrhea that does not improve.1 Symptoms include watery stool, abdominal pain, and fever, and patients may go on to develop more serious intestinal conditions.

• Posted

I took a proton pump inhibitor and it gave me stomach ache and then diarrhoea so I had to stop. They wrote on my records that I am allergic to it! I also took statins at the time so it could have been the combination as I read that they shouldn't be taken together?
  • Posted

As soon as I heard the news about having diarrhea ,etc. I stopped taking Omeprazole. No pain or other symptoms, but I was reluctant to even start taking Omerprazole. Doctors just prescribe meds, you have to do your own research. I usually do, but not this time. I suffered dearly for it. Since changing my diet, not any particular diet, just a healthier one. It took a while but I am back to normal.(my normal lol) The only reason I went to an ENT is because while in hospital a polyp on voice box was discovered. Scoping to check polyp the esophagus was checked and the saga began. ugh!

Tinkbell32, once you stop med the diarrhea will stop, too.

• Posted

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I think i will stop taking the Lanzoprasole from today and see what happens. I just hope my reflux doesn't return although if i stay away from what i know triggers it i should be ok i suppose.

Fingers crossed!! x

• Posted

I too have stomach upsets from ppis ( pantoprazole in my case) not diarrhea but discomfort it does not feel

to me like the cramps I had with ibs. I also have ti redness and feeling spaced out feeling with ppis. But if

you stop taking it unless you are lucky I think the reflux comes back. I have been told that if I stop the ppis my oesophagus will be damaged as I have a weak oesophagus and stomach and the valve is not working

properly ( following endoscopy). Have you had an endoscopy ? I am sure your diarrhea will stop if you stop

ppi bu t not sure if the reflux will stay away I hope so in your case. Everyone reacts differently to these meds.

• Posted

Stop self-diagnosing. Go to your GP and discuss this with them. Don't just listen and obey. Talk to them. Find out what their findings are so far. You (the patient) are the reason for their being, not the other way round. Find out why Lansoprazole has been prescribed at twice the normal starting dose and at a higher dose for longer than recommended. Read the patient leaflet before you go.
  • Posted

Hi Tinkerbell, I agree with Richard that it might be good to talk to your doctor. You can tell him you want to stop the medication.

One of the reason is that it is preferable to wean off the PPI slowly, taking it every other day for a week then every three days for a week for example, to tamper the possible rebound effect.

That is what my doctor said to me when I wanted to stop. I did not do it properly and I think I hurt my stomach in the process with the excess acid due to the rebound effect.

• Posted

I was on 30mg to start with but it didn't help my symptoms at all so my doctor increased it to 60mg. I wasn't given a time frame of how long I should take it for so just carried as my doctor prescribed me 4 boxes. I feel like I've been to the doctors so much recently and I'm worried they'll think I'm a hypochondriac soon! I try and research on the net and get advice here rather than troubling them.

I don't want to make myself more ill in the process by just stopping the PPI's altogether so I'll ring my doctor today. Thanks all for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.