Is having black poo normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Recently about 3:30pm today, I had a bowel movement and I noticed that it was black like tarry and some of it had smeared onto the toilet bowl and will not come off, I'm worried that I might have a stomach ulcer or bleeding in my stomach, is this normal?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, 

Black stool can be an indication of several things. The first and most obviously the worst is that it could be blood, the fact it is dark means it is from the upper digestive tract. You do however need this to be diagnosed by a doctor to be certain.

It could also be due to taking iron supplements or linked to what you have been eating, eg liquorice.  

Please don't be alarmed, I am finding bright red blood when I go, but am trying to remember it could be a list of things before panicking it could be the worst. Easier said than done I know.

I suggest you keep an eye on what you eat for the next few weeks and see if it continues happening. Book an appointment with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

I hope everything comes back clear for you :-)

• Posted

Thanks becki, I'm thinking that it could be Crohn's Disease as I have the symptoms associated with it, I don't think it's what I ate although I think it could be a stomach ulcer as I have been eating spicy food and it's only come up today, I usually have peppered sauce with my dinner every Friday, every time I do I get a sore stomach and I have to go to the toilet. I also wonder could be that I have a bit of my bowel removed as I had an ileostomy when I was a baby so maybe that could have contributed? I don't know neutral
    • Posted

Oh bless you, i'm sorry to hear you're suffering,  I can empathise with you.

My best advice is to go and see your go,  they will be able to find out what is going on and offer some support. I would eat gentler things for the time being until things settle for you, unfortunately that means bland food i'm afraid. I am on a diet of rice veg and chicken because I can't eat anything else without running to the bathroom or swelling to 9 months pregnant! I am a size 10 so you can imagine how uncomfortable that is.

Rice is meant to be very gentle on the tummy and is good for diarrhea because it absorbs the water.

Most importantly don't panic,  it is most probably something minor but if it is something worse the doctors will know what to do :-) if you have any other questions, i'm not an expert but I am happy to help where I can, even if it's just for support 

• Posted

Hello Johnathan

My question is do you have a ilieocopy I do and there's black stool

• Posted

I've never had an ileoscopy before, I've had an ileostomy before, but that's it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.